Chapter 9: Mistaken (Hyunjin POV)

First Posted On: 19th July 2021

Last Updated On: 19th July 2021

T/N: This takes place on 9th and 10th May 2020.

~ ~ ~

The days were finally getting warmer with spring coming to a close in about a month. But for me, that is the only thing that has gotten warmer. And no, it is not because my personality got colder (even if it may look like it on TV).

In my hand was a box that I never thought would see the light of day again; or at least the dimly lit light in my room. I was trying to deny the reality of it, but after I was left in shock that time at the park when I went busking...I realised I made a huge mistake.

In that box, was a brand new hairband with cat ears. It was not like the one I used to have, because it has black ears instead of white ones.

Yes, keywords 'used to have', because I had accidentally given away my old hairband thinking it was the new one. I do not recall why it happened like this, but maybe I was in a rush and I misplaced its box...? Either way, I messed up, and I only realised it when that stranger in the park that day came up to me...

...wearing said hairband with cat ears. The same ones with a dried-up blood stain on them.

(Flashback to Chapter 8: My Melody)

"I had a hard time when I was younger," I told the kind stranger softly. "I needed to make decisions on my own often. And one day, I made a choice and it benefited me well till this day. That is why I think the choice I made was the best thing I ever did."

She just nodded in response to why I sang 'The Best Thing I Ever Did' that day. Like I thought, I could not let her know I was an abduction victim. That would surely be one way to lose friends.

"Uh..." she suddenly asked me intently. "Would you like to sing a bit? Like a duet?"

"Eh?" I looked at her quizzically. Now that was another way to look dumb before a stranger. Good job Kim Hyunjin.

"A voice like yours really shouldn't go to waste. Since you like busking, you should showcase your talents well," she advised me.

That compliment alone made my heart flutter. I know my members like to praise literally anything I did (especially my unexpected strength), but to hear such kind words from a stranger who was apparently mesmerised by my singing...now that hits different.

"You also have a good voice!" I praised her in return. "I think you would enjoy singing as much as I do! That being said, I'm very happy to sing a song with you!"

Instinctively, the kind stranger decided to sit next to me. Now much closer, I could feel that unmistakable aura of a vocal goddess. She does look adorable, just as I thought when I saw her from a distance earlier, but her tender voice certainly carries an emotional tinge to it.

"What song shall we sing?" she asked me with a slightly more bubbly tone than normal as she turned to face me.

And that is when I saw it. That hairband she wore was no ordinary hairband with cat ears. No...because when I saw the unmistakable mark of the bloodstain on the ears...I flinched.

Oh no...I have made a mistake. A mistake that probably scarred a poor stranger unknowingly. Now, I am meeting her face to face...what luck.

"실례합니다?" She tried to catch my attention while I was in a daze. "A song...?"