Chapter 27: Verdict (Hyunjin and Monday POV)

First Posted On: 24th November 2021

Last Updated On: 24th November 2021

T/N: This takes place on 24th October 2020 and 29th October 2020.

~ ~ ~

(Hyunjin POV)

Was I enjoying my time with Monday? Certainly. However, as my luck would have it, that troubled past of mine always finds a way to catch me unexpectedly. Thankfully, the two officers did not cause a scene, but being under conditional arrest was now the least of my problems.

I tried to help Monday with solving her mystery, but in doing so I left her frightened(?) about something. Her screaming Jin Jin as well triggered something in me as well.

Guilt.

I should have told her about my previous memory of that woman calling me Jin Jin, no matter how uncertain I was about my identity. Now, as I sat in the interrogation room with Officers Kang and Jo in front of me, it might be too late to do so.

"Let's not waste time, Kim Hyunjin ssi," Officer Jo broke silence first. "We all know how busy your schedule is and we can only keep the media away from you for so long."

"Haven't I already assisted you enough?" I counter-argued. "Surely I have my privacy rights too, haven't I?"

"Yes, but we made no headway. All we did was work around the last person who most likely saw Yoo Daejoon before he succumbed to the arson," Officer Kang elaborated. "Presently, you and your behaviour fit the culprit's decision best."

Culprit? Are they serious?

"Fair enough, but what new evidence have you got linking my involvement to the arson anyway?" I challenged them, although I know it was going to be futile.

The two officers exchanged looks before Officer Kang asked, "You really want to push it? Especially when you know full well what other acts you did to cover up your tracks?"

I knew what they were referring to, but instead of admitting, I responded with, "Isn't that beyond the scope of your investigation?"

"It isn't if it's working on a hunch and about the only possible suspect of a well-planned arson, which I should remind you again is a chargeable offence," Officer Jo stated plainly.

While being interrogated, I noticed my (fake) ID and copies of my (fake) personal documents being laid on the table with some transaction records. I really wanted to deny the reality but at the back of my mind, the evidence was inevitable.

"And yes, we had a search warrant, but we are respecting you and your members' privacies so we are not searching your dorm without your permission first." Officer Jo somehow foresaw the questions I was about to ask.

It was now time for me to explain why I had to go through the trouble to create a fake identity around the same time as the arson crime that killed the notorious criminal and rapist Yoo Daejoon. All the evidence and timely coincidences seemed to point to me, not least the suspicions that it would cost a lot of money to make these fake identities. Nautrally, the officers wanted to know how I got so much money in the first place.

However, scanning through the evidence, I realised there was one piece that was missing. Oh yeah, it must be strange that I knew this, right? Either way, I was not going to leave it to chance that both officers were playing mind games with me. Then I remembered something...

Monday followed me to the police station!

I managed to convince both officers to let Monday tag along because I already made arrangements with her later. Good excuse right?