Chapter 32: Family (Monday POV)

First Posted On: 22nd December 2021

Last Updated On: 22nd December 2021

T/N: This takes place on 11th November 2020 and 25th November 2020.

~ ~ ~

My world shattered again when Hyunjin unnie dropped the truth about what happened. In a way, I felt guilty for making her read the letter she wrote that I was meant to read on my own. If it weren't for the timing where I had to tell the members about my closeness with Hyunjin, I probably would have kept it hidden even longer.

They were horrible acts, no doubt. You don't simply stab someone and set fire to a place out of nowhere too. Then when I realised that it was Hyunjin with a past multiple personality disorder, I was feeling more heartbroken again.

None more so when Hyunjin unnie said she wanted to turn herself in.

"But you were the victim!" I logically challenged her decision. "You did everything out of self-defence!"

Even though the members agreed with me, Hyunjin was still seemingly firm on her decision, saying, "No, I wasn't a victim. Jin Jin was the victim. Hyunjin is my consciousness...ever since I had to tamper my own evidence."

I recalled what the NCI officers told me about Hyunjin's records. All the reasons as to why she remained an unknown victim...led to here. My own sister abetted to her own kidnapping, although not by choice.

"Jimin ah..." Soojin lightly touched my hand. "I'd like to remind you that Hyunjin unnie is usually quite stubborn about a lot of things, but she really is thinking and acting on what is best for this situation."

"Thanks for reminding me of that moment, Soojin..." Hyunjin unnie playfully rolled her eyes. Who could forget that infamous scene between LOONA's 2Jin anyway?

Back to the main issue at hand, I was still unsure why Hyunjin wanted to make that decision to turn herself in. Sure LOONA might be reaching the tail end of their promotions, but...wouldn't this cause a stir among the fandoms? And for the wrong reasons?

"It's the only way I can completely get rid of the old Jin Jin..." she revealed.

"But...your pet name..." I was trying to comprehend.

"It's time we moved on too, Jimin ah..." Hyunjin unnie sighed. "Even you find Jin Jin a burden, don't you?"

I did, actually. But not for the same reasons as unnie.

"Still, at least-" I tried to reason further.

"-tell my members and my manager? Yes I already did that and I already got the same response as you." Hyunjin unnie read my mind. Man...I am really not a good 여 동생 (younger sister).

No, I want to make up for this. And all the years I couldn't be her younger sister.

"Hyun," I decided to shorten her name in the same way Heejin sunbaenim did, "I will share this revelation with the NCI. Let them work together with the officers on your case and we can achieve some form of justice from all this."

She finally smiled again, but remained adamant with, "I will still turn myself in."

Why, unnie? You really don't have to do this...

Time had passed and it was already midnight at the dorm. After a rollercoaster of emotions at the dining table, the members were all feeling peckish. Fortunately, Soeun whipped up a kimchi jeon for the eight of us, which safe to say was the best dish we didn't know we needed at that moment. Hyunjin unnie praised Soeun's supper snack, and I just stared at her in admiration that my older sister was regaining her innocence a step at a time.