Chapter 22: Should I Go Back And Investigate? (Monday POV)

First Posted On: 19th October 2021

Last Updated On: 20th October 2021

T/N: This takes place on 28th September 2020.

~ ~ ~

I stretched my limbs backstage while the rest of the members got their makeup done for our next 1theK release. With our comeback in around two weeks, our schedules are getting packed again. The PDs informed us that we had five concepts to work around, one of which being our comeback title track 'Zig Zag' that will be teased for the first time.

I kinda get why we are 1theK's daughters now.

"Don't you already have abs Kim Monday?" Soeun was observing my planking on the floor.

"Shouldn't you be working on getting abs Park Soeun?" I challenged her.

"I'm strong! I'm strong too! Don't look down on me," she huffed and started stretching her arms. Aigoo...

Jihan was about to copy us but I overheard Jiyoon stop her saying, "We are small fries among the tall -line...don't bother trying..."

I'm certain our comedic personalities will last throughout this comeback.

Our dance cover concepts were diverse as expected. We had to switch between the charisma of ATEEZ and Stray Kids and then the vibrant theme of IZ*ONE. Of course, we will have matching outfits for our dances.

There was one dance that I secretly wished I could do: 'So What' by LOONA. However, I was given the dance for Seventeen's 'Left and Right' instead (obviously so Jihan had the chance to flex her Orbit love). Indeed, if I did dance to LOONA, it was so that Hyunjin unnie can be proud of me.

At that, I paused. Ever since I met Hyunjin, I had this desire to do everything to make her happy. Out of context, this would sound weird, but in the two meetings we had, there is some unknown affinity that I feel with her. It goes beyond our personalities as KPop idols, but perhaps something deeper.

I sensed she was feeling some kind of emotional pain. And I could tell from her expression that she could understand how I felt as I searched for Jin Jin.

"STANDBY~!" the PD called us over. That alone reminded me of Hyunjin's behaviour. Oh well, let's get on with the job.

We performed 'Wonderland', 'How You Like That', 'New Things', 'ON' and 'God's Menu' first in our black-themed outfits. It feels a world away from our Zig Zag MV concept, but we managed to pull them off well. At the end of the segment, we were already out of breath.

During our break, I sat with Soojin unnie as we waited our turn to change our outfits. I was about to chat with her about finding Jin Jin when Soeun and Zoa joined us. I guess that will have to wait...

After interacting with the members and mildly starting a joke about Soojin being a 꼰대 (kkondae), I leant my head on Soeun's shoulder. If anything, I didn't want the members to get too suspicious of me spending way too much time with Soojin unnie. They don't know it's to find my real unnie, and I hope it stays that way until I get some leads on her.

Sometime later we completed 'So What' and 'Secret Story of the Swan'. A quick change later and 'Monster' and 'Left and Right' were filmed too. At last, we were ready to perform 'Zig Zag', which will be the first time the netizens will see our choreography and hear our comeback song. For this rendition of 'Zig Zag', we were dressed in blazers with green-black striped ties or bows. The plan was to dance the chorus without props; those will be in the actual MV.