Thank You, Shin Jiyoon

First Posted On: 2nd June 2022

Last Updated On: 2nd June 2022

T/N: A little belated postscript after the recent announcements.

~ ~ ~

I don't really know how to begin this A/N except with the blunt truth. Yes, Weeekly is now a 6-member group and Shin Jiyoon has left Weeekly to prioritise her mental health. Minutes after the announcement, Daileees and some Orbits flooded onto social media expressing their sadness but sending their well-wishes to Jiyoon, who undoubtedly needs all the attention and encouragement right now. I was among this group. But recovering from a recent tweet storm on my account, I couldn't fully relay my concerns for Jiyoon at that moment. Now, I have taken some time to think of the words to say to Weeekly's forever singer, composer, comedian, mercury, and Wednesday girl.

When it was first announced she needed to halt activities for anxiety, that was the initial shockwave many Daileees weren't prepared for. Even for a long-time fan like myself, it seemed so unexpected, but I finally could relate to the fans whose biases had to take hiatuses for similar reasons. It's always hard when it hits home, but those situations make us fans stronger, emotionally.

It's hard really to talk about this topic of mental health because I have been a fan long enough to witness 3 of the ugly sides of those struggles on these dates:
- 18th December 2017
- 14th October 2019
- 24th November 2019

I don't need nor want to share the details because you can just look it up. What I am saying is that I am glad Jiyoon's character is still bright as ever and she's still able to see the positives in things, even in between the two comebacks Weeekly had and she briefly made an appearance on group schedules and her solo vlive. Of course, that might not be the full picture, but at least she could manage her struggles well and we should be thankful for that.

Jiyoon has since written a letter to Daileees with encouraging words of her own to assure us she misses us and we will always hold a special place in her heart. Soojin earlier echoed those words with her own letter to express her gratitude and love for Jiyoon during her time with Weeekly. What they are all saying is Jiyoon wants us to be happy for her, and the last thing she wants is for us Daileees and Weeekly stans to be disheartened that it's not OT7 anymore. Trust me, my ultimate fave went from OT7 to OT6 and now OT5; I have already cried all my tears out.

On another side note, any future Weeekly fanfics will still include Jiyoon as a member. If you read 'Betrayal Turned Into Affection', APink was in their original OT7 lineup. Not just for the sake of the plot, but because that is how the group started off. Even in this fanfic, Jiyoon's supporting role is still essential for the plot, so in the same way she will always be a member of Weeekly in writing.

Jiyoon ah, even if the world might be a little hard to live in now, just know that your bright personality has brought us through these hard times! You are an encouraging sister to us Daileees. Please take care and don't feel burdened by other's expectations of you. You are already very successful in our eyes. Thank you Jiyoon, for overcoming the impossible!

 Thank you Jiyoon, for overcoming the impossible!

#ThankYouJiyoon

🎉 You've finished reading Identity Crisis (LOONA X Weeekly Fanfic) / 개릭터 붕괴가 (이달의 소녀 X 위클리 팬픽) 🎉