Chapter Eight: Μαθαίνοντας κάτι νέο (Learning Something New)

Warning - mentions of abuse. Sexual content.
*************************************

Alcina and Melania reach the courtyard, the sun slowly rising, warming everything up around them. They make their way to a massive day bed, under a canopy. The pillow and sheets a deep red color, with golden trimming. The day bed looked out onto the grounds behind the castle, with the forests lurking in the back. Winter has passed, but it's still cold early in the morning, so they take a seat on the day bed, basking in the morning sun. Alcina takes her seat, and makes herself comfortable, before opening her arms, gesturing to Melania to join her. Melania eagerly sits down next to her, resting her arm on the back of the bed. She gets comfortable, and rests her head on her hand, and faces Alcina, looking at the beauty that is Alcina Dimitrescu.
"Elena, come here, dear." Alcina called, not removing her gaze from Melania.
"Please be a dear and bring us some wine. Do tell my daughters not to bother Lady Dracos and I. And prepare a fancy dinner for us, get the help of all the maids. Prepare dinner for six, I will contact my brother later." Alcina gives her orders. Melania smiles, still watching Alcina. She lifts her legs onto the bed, and gets comfortable.
"Of course, my lady. Right away" Elena answered. She was one of the most loyal maidens in the castle, having been here for more than 5 years. Alcina even told her daughters not to touch or harm her, she is a valued employee.
"Have you ever played '20 questions' love?" Melania placed her hand on Alcina's thigh.
"My dear, do I look like someone who plays games? Do tell me though, it sounds interesting." she laughed.
"It's a game people play to get to know each other. All we're doing is ask each other questions. I will start, then you answer. I will answer the same question. And then it's your turn. And so forth" Alcina could see she was excited about this. She's happy. Elena soon returned, bringing with her two bottles of Sanguis Virginis and two of Alcina's expensive wine glasses. She placed the tray on a table next to the bed, and fills their glasses before running off again.
"Alright, sounds simple enough." Alcina hands her a glass full of the deep red liquid.
"I'll start. When were you born?" Melania asked.
"April 15th, 1912. I was turned in 1956 at the age of 44." Alcina answered, frowning a bit since she's uncomfortable with her age. Especially compared to Melania.
"Ah yes. That's the day the Titanic sank. I was born February 10th, 1895. I turned in 1922, the age of 27. And stop frowning. You don't look a day older than 21, love." she gives Alcina a quick kiss on the cheek.
"I can't believe that you are older than me!" Alcina exclaimed, pouting. She laughed and puts her hand on Melania's thigh.
"Me neither. It's confusing a bit." Melania laughs, blushing bright red.
Next it was Alcina's turn.
"Can you remember anything or anyone of your past life?" she asked. She's enjoying this.
"Only my mother - and the day that hag gave me the Cadou." she frowned, that altercation between all of them in the courtyard never really left her mind.
"I can only remember Karl, and that we were part of a high-ranking family. The Castle Dimitrescu has been in our family for generations."
Melania thinks hard, before asking her next question.
"Tell me about your monster." she asked, making Alcina widen her eyes slightly. She didn't expect this question, although she knew that she was going to ask eventually. She takes a deep breath and answered her.
"I am able to mutate into a dragon, of some sorts. It's difficult to explain to you. It will be easier just to show you. Now isn't the time though. I am still very worried to show you my other side, mon amour." Alcina said, with a worried expression.
"Alcina. My darling, please. You have nothing to fear. I promise. I'll tell you of all the monsters I have encountered on my adventures in Greece. Including something called a harpy." she takes Alcina's hand and kissed her knuckle.
"I am able to mutate into something the Greeks call a manticore. A creature of Hades's making, a creature with the head and body of a lion, with horns, the tail of a scorpion and the wings of an eagle. I can't be sure, but I think Hades created the manticore, as a gift to his wife, Persephone." Melania explained. She could recall all the stories her mother used to tell her. Alcina nods, slightly relieved that she wasn't the only one, who could mutate into a monster. She then refills their wine glasses, before asking her question.
"Does your name mean anything? I mean, I know the Greeks like to name their children like that." she smiled at her lover.
"Melania means black or dark. Catherine means pure and Dracos means dragon. Quite appropriate I think. Although, I don't think the 'pure' part applies to me" she laughed.
"I wish I knew if my name had any meaning" Alcina said softly.
"Oh, but it does, mon amour. And surprisingly, it's of Greek origin. Ancient Greek, to be specific." Melania said excitedly. She scoots closer to Alcina, almost like she was about to gossip.
"Your name, Alcina, means 'strong-willed', which suits your beautiful personality. And your last name, Dimitrescu, means 'a follower of Demeter', the goddess of fertility and the harvest. It's also actually one of the earliest surnames." Melania says, suddenly very proud of Alcina. Admiring her even more.
"Really? I didn't know that... How do you know all of this, love?"
"Photographic memory." Melania hums, lost in her golden eyes.
"You know, you're so beautiful. Everything about you, Mon chéri." She moved closer to her, placing a lingering kiss on her soft lips.