Chapter Fourteen: Το δώρο του Χέκουιτ (Hekate's Gift)

Melania woke up, sharp light hurting her eyes. She blinks profusely, trying to get her eyes to adjust. The first thing she felt, was a peculiar kind of pressure on her hand. Her eyes eventually adjusting, she stared in awe, her eyes as wide as they could go. She was surrounded by millions upon millions of flowers, colored white and purple. She looked around, seeing fields of flowers, seemingly never ending. It's beautiful, waterfalls cascading, birds singing and the sun, gentle but warm on her skin.
"Welcome to Elysium, neos thnitos." she heard a deep, raspy voice behind her, the air around her getting colder all of a sudden. Shivers run down her spine. She slowly turned around, coming face to face with a large man - dressed in an all black robe, black smoke eminating around him. He was holding a bident, a weapon she immediately recognized, since there was a spear and a trident that looked similar. His thick black beard surrounded his face, his red eyes glaring at her.
"H-Hades?" she stuttered, eyes wide, looking up at the God of the Underworld himself.
"Mmm." he hummed, a slight growl accompanying his deep voice. Melania just stared- in awe of the god in front of her.
"My wife and I were arguing over you. According to me, you should be rotting in the depths of Tartarus. She on the other hand argued, although you are responsible for so many human deaths, you sacrificed your life for another. A new daughter of Hekate." he muttered, as he started walking around her. A strange feeling crept into her heart - a feeling she hasn't felt in a very, very long time. Fear. She was unable to speak.
"Hekate sided with what my wife said, of course. They are the best of friends, you see" he continued.
"Alas, I can't say no to Persephone, I never could. She always gets what she wants." he said, stopping in front of her. As tall as Melania is in comparison to the humans, when Hades looked her in the eyes, she has to tilt her head back to be able to look at him.
"Wha- what's going to happen to me?" she said, still frozen in fear.
"Well, since you are a daughter of Hekate, my wife decided to leave your fate in her hands. Lucky you." he laughed, making her gulp.
"Hekate, come deal with the child, before I change my mind." he bellowed, his voice was extremely loud.
"Calm yourself, Hades." a female voice said, suddenly coming from behind her. She turned quickly, only to freeze with fear, again.
"Be done with this. Now. I'm going to see my darling wife." Hades said, disappearing in a cloud of black smoke. Melania faced a beautiful woman, the same size as Hades. She was wearing a dark purple dress, tied with a knot on her one shoulder. Just like the ancient Greeks used to wear. She had silver hair, so long it almost reached the small of her back. She had white eyes, white as snow, looking down at Melania, intimidatingly.
"Dear daughter, I've been keeping my eyes on you." she said, black lipstick painted lips curling into a dark smile.
"My queen!" Melania immediately falls to her knees, bowing her head in respect.
"Yes, child. Now. I quite enjoy watching my daughters on earth. And you, my dear, have kept my attention. You impressed me, giving your life for another one of my daughters. And I do not impress easily." she said in a velvety voice. Melania stayed on her knees, but looked up at the goddess.
"C-Cassandra? Another one of your daughters?" Melania asked, confused.
"Indeed. The moment you decided to give your life to her, some of your abilities transferred to her. You'll be happy to know, she's alive and well, about to wake." Melania sighed with relief. But, remembering Alcina's beautiful face, missing the touch of her hands, her embrace, her scent, Melania started crying. She tried to cope with the fact that she will never see her again. Or hear her voice.
"You love her, don't you, this matriarch?" Hekate asked, frowning. Melania just nodded, unable to speak - her heart was breaking.
"I admire that, daughter. Now. What to do with you..." she trailed off, pacing back and forth. Melania was broken, she just stood there.
"Before I make my decision, there is someone who would like to see you." Melania frowned, who could possibly want to see her?
"I'll give you some privacy." Hekate walked away, still keeping an eye on Melania.
"Melania, o mikros mou drakos..." a faint voice spoke, much softer than Hades's and Hekate's voices. Melania knew that voice, warm, loving and gentle. She began crying before even turning around.
"Mother!" she cried, running over to her mother, dropping to her knees and embracing her tightly. Her heartache forgotten for the time being.
"Oh, gods, you're so big! How I've missed you, my darling!" they were both crying of happiness. Her mother was shocked by her size, since she died before Melania was injected with the cadou.
"Mother, I miss you so much. I am so glad to see you again. What are you doing here? You're supposed to have moved across the Styx to your after life?" Melania asked.
"I am working for our goddess, love. I made a deal with her. I was to work here for her, and in turn, I can watch you live your life." she cupped Melania's cheeks and kissed her on her forehead.
"That's, fantastic mother. I am happy you are alright. I love you so much." they embrace again.
"Now, my darling, we don't have much time. Tell me of this woman you love." Melania frowned, unsure of what her mother meant by that.
"Mother, she is amazing, beautiful, smart, caring, and, and just amazing. I don't have the words. And she loves me for me. She has three amazing daughters, and... I love her so much." Melania trailed off, the heartache coming back. Her mother wiped her tears away and smiled.
"I am so glad you're happy, my love. You make me so proud." she said.
"Catherine, daughter. It's time." Hekate was back, clasping her hands together in front of her.
"Of course, my queen. My darling daughter. Listen to me carefully." she said, placing her hands on Melania's shoulders. Melania frowned, suddenly feeling extremely lethargic, she struggled to keep her eyes open.
"Mother? What's going on?" she yawned.
"Go live your life, o mikros mou drakos. Go to Alcina, and live. I don't want to see you back here any time soon. I love you so much." Melania watched through half-closed eyelids, her mother's voice far away.
"Listen to my words, Melania Dracos. I do not offer second chances to just anyone. Do not waste your gift." Hekate said, standing behind her mother, her hands on her mother's shoulders.
"I love you too, mother. But-" Melania suddenly fell into a deep sleep, deeper than she's ever slept. Somewhere in the background, she heard Hekate's voice again.
"Take care of my new daughter. And kill that false priestess."

~

Alcina wakes up, she fell into a dreamless sleep, still alone in the mausoleum. She realized she had cried herself to sleep. She looked down, seeing Melania laying on the marble table. Something was, different. She looked around, tears coming down again. It took her a few moments, but she realized, all the candles in the mausoleum was out. She looked around, not feeling a breeze, seeing shimmering stars outside. For a moment she thought that Mother Miranda was here. But, she saw no one. Alcina frowned, and looked down to Melania's body. Her heart suddenly started racing, her eyes widening with shock. Mentally slapping herself, to make sure this isn't a dream, she took a closer look at her lover's body in the darkness. Her chest, albeit slowly, was rising and falling.

*************************************
A/N: more chapters to come everyone. I sure hope you all are enjoying the story.

🖤🖤🖤