Chapter Twelve: Η ζωή μετά το θάνατο (Life After Death)

It was dark, nightfall in the forest. Everything is deadly silent, except for the quiet sobs and soft whimpering coming from a mourning family. There, on the forest floor, lay a girl, looking as if she's sleeping, in her mother's arms. Surrounding them, sisters, and uncle and a beast. All mourning over the girl. They couldn't move, couldn't speak. They just sat there, unable to do anything. Alcina was numb, unsure of what to do. She kept wishing, this was one of her nightmares, kept wishing she could wake up. Alas, it was real. Though, a nightmare would have been the better choice. If she only had one. Cassandra was dead. Suddenly, intense rage erupted from within Alcina, coupled with her sadness, her body started quivering and shaking with anger. She pushed the manticore out of her way, shoving Karl over in the process as well. She didn't put Cassandra's body down, and started mutating into her dragon form. All the while tears running down her face. Once completely transformed, she gently holds Cassandra's body, and picked up Bela and Daniela, placing them on the dragon's back. They were still crying, and Alcina hugged them tight to her upper body, protruding from the dragon's back. She glanced over to Karl and Melania.
"We should have protected her." she said, disappointed. Before either of them could say anything, she took off, flapping her huge wings hard, flying off to the castle.
"Let's go Karl. I need to go to her. Get on my back." the manticore said. Karl, still on his knees, looking down at a pool of Cassandra's blood on the ground in front of him, doesn't answer her.
"Karl! Snap out of it! Please, brother, we need to go!" Melania shouted, but Karl doesn't move. Starting to get angry, she suddenly grabs him with her giant paw, and shoves him onto her back. He doesn't say anything, but she could feel him silently crying, resting his head down on her back. He was in some state of shock. Melania takes off, flapping her wings as hard as she could, desperately trying to get her massive body off the ground. She headed toward the castle, it's dark silhouette glooming against the night's sky. She could hear the relentless sobbing of a dragon. She could hardly see where she was flying, tears streaming down her face. She could feel Karl hug her.

They eventually reach the castle, and spots Alcina on the steps at the entrance to the castle, in her human form, Cassandra still cradled in her arms. Melania lands next to the Dimitrescu women, making their clothing flow with the sudden gust of wind from her wings. She let's Karl get off, who walked over to his sister, and kneeling down next to her. They didn't move, or look up. Melania takes a deep breath. 'I know what I have to do' Melania thought to herself. No longer crying, a deadly calm flows over her, as she transformed back into her human form, not caring that she's naked. She said nothing as she walked past the mourning family, and gave them one last sorrowful glance, before she entered the castle doors. She walked up the stairs, making her way to their room, tears suddenly returning to her. Throwing on whatever item of clothing her hand touched, she gets dressed. With another deep breath, she leaves the room, making her way back to the mourning family.

When she came back outside, none of them moved, still in the same position as she left them. Her heart breaks at the sight of her lover in this state, refusing to let go of Cassandra's body.
"Lay her down, Alcina." was all she muttered, walking over to them. She doesn't move, so Melania gently takes Cassandra from her arms, a sudden growl escaping Alcina's mouth. Melania isn't scared, and Alcina doesn't fight her, slowly letting Melania take Cassandra. Melania gently placed her body on the ground in front of her. Alcina was confused, still crying, she stayed sitting on the ground.
"Hekate, i thea mou. Sas kalo. Akouste tin ekklisi mou, doste mou to dynami kai tin enegrgeia sas." Melania chants softly. She was on her knees, her hands hovering above Cassandra's body, eyes closed.
"Dose mou ti megali timi na doso ti zoi mou se oftin ti gynika brosta mou. Tha tis doso ti zoi mou, kai tha sou doso tin psychi mou, thea mou." she chants, black smoke emerging from her hands, her eyes still closed. Tears were running down her face, Alcina tried to stop her, realizing what she was doing, but she couldn't - she wanted her daughter back. Her heart broke, when she decided to choose her daughter. She loved Melania so much.
"Alcina, agapi mou. Tha eimai panta mazi sou. Se agapo me oli, mou tin kardia." she finally said, looking into Alcina's eyes, crying. Cassandra took a deep breath, her wound disappearing and the color returning to her cheeks.
"Pare me sto Elysium." was the last thing Melania said, before collapsing, life leaving her body.
"Melania, no!" Alcina screamed, catching her body, limp in her arms.
"Oh, my love. What have you done?" she cried, looking over to Cassandra, alive, asleep on the ground. Alcina's heart broke, she broke, as she held her love's body in her arms, sobbing uncontrollably. Karl, Daniela and Bela, watched, eyes wide with shock, yet expressions of heartbreak written across their faces, unable to speak. It was completely silent around them, besides Alcina's loud heartbroken cries echoing around them.
"D-Daniela, Bela. P-please take your s-sister to your room. Clean her and p-put her to bed. K-Karl, p-please don't l-leave my side." Alcina cried, black tears running down her face. She could barely talk. The girls picked Cassandra up, and went inside. He wasn't sure how long they sat there, silently crying, but Karl put his hand on his sister's shoulder.
"Alcina, I... I am so terribly sorry. This is all my fault." he said, looking down at his shoes.
"It's not your f-fault brother. This is M-Miranda's fault." she said softly. She stood up, carrying Melania i her arms, she walked into the castle. Karl followed, head hanging low. He wasn't sure where she was going, but he refused to leave her side. He wanted nothing more than to support his older sister, through the upcoming heartbreaking times.

*************************************
A/N: All the phrases used in the other language is Greek...

Hekate, i thea mou. Sas kalo. Akouste tin ekklisi mou, doste mou ti dynami kai tin energeia sas. - Hekate, my goddess. I call upon thee. Hear my plea, grant me your strength and energy.

Dose mou ti megali timi na doso ti zoi mou se oftin ti gynika brosta mou. Tha this doso ti zoi mou, kai tha sou doso tin psychi mou, thea mou - Grant me the great honor of giving my life to the woman laying before me. I will give my life to her, and give my soul to you, my goddess.

Alcina, agapi mou. Tha eimai panta mazi sou. Se agapo me oli, mou Tim kardia - Alcina, my love. I will always be with you. I love you with all my heart.

Pare me sto Elysium - take me to Elysium.

🖤🖤🖤