New Heights (Part 4)

Miss me? I'm back with a plot chapter. Enjoy!
———————
TW: Mention of death
————————-
Sylvia didn't know what to do.

She was tapping onto the ground with her foot nervously while she was petting the dog laying on her lap. She had the strength to push Luna off the couch and ran out of her house if she finally get a phone call. However, if Sarah called her to tell her that she found Lilly's lifeless body somewhere along the road, Sylvia doubted that she would have the energy to do anything.

Her fingers caressed Luna's fluffy white fur.

She couldn't believe what she had actually done. She was the one who's responsible for Lilly's disappearance. Lilly had to use her powers because of Sylvia's own traumas.
She had never treated Lilly right, she had never listened to her. She had forced Lilly to do everything in her way. Because of that, it was all Sylvia's fault that Lilly's lost for two days.

Sylvia had not become aware that she was crying until Luna rubbed her nose against her chin. Her warm tears started to stain the dog's fur.

That's when her phone finally rang. Although Sylvia was impatient to accept to call, it took her a moment to pick it up.

"Sarah?"

"Sylvia, you can't believe what we've just found!"

Sylvia straightened up on the couch as she swallowed hard, pulling Luna closer to herself to get prepared for what Sarah had in store.

"What is it? Did you finally find where Lilly is?"

Sarah sighed bitterly.

"No, not yet. But we found...something."

Sylvia could hear the sound of the highway through the phone. The cars passing by and the faint wind that was making it harder for her to hear Sarah.

"It's her phone."

Sylvia's eyes widened. She suddenly attempted to stand up, pushing Luna to the ground in the process and getting an annoyed groan from her. But that wasn't enough for Sylvia to suppress her excitement.

"Her phone? Sarah, that's great! How did you guys manage to track it?"

"Hey, calm down. I know it's a big step but there's a problem,"

Sylvia heard Sarah letting out a deep breath.

"The phone is shrunk. We were searching for it in the bushes beside Pine Road for at least an hour. I called you once I got my hands on it."

"Hmm, how did you track the phone in the first place?"

"Oh, I'm giving the props to Tyler on this one. He was trying to find a signal for almost two days. We're so lucky,"

Sylvia lowered her voice rather timidly as guilt surrounded her mind all over again.

"I wouldn't call it luck..."

Sarah sighed deeply. Sylvia knew the girl was just trying to be optimistic but it wasn't reasonable to deny the truth.

"At least now we know what happened to Lilly. She got shrunk, just like you saw it coming."

"It feels so bad to be right about this..."

"Hey, don't go so hard on yourself," Sarah said in a motherly tone. Under her buzz cut and camouflage-themed clothes, Sarah was hiding a caring big sister. Even though she got so rough to handle sometimes.

"You tried your best about warning her. I was the one to be more careful when you told me about Noah's conversation. I left you to handle it on your own. And of course, none of us thought that Lilly could escape on her own. Hell, that's the first time she became successful in changing her size willingly and it's for going on a date with that jerk...That's the part that I refuse to accept."