New Heights (Part 5)

Mature themes, lots of backstories, and plot.
—————-
Enjoy!
————————————
The night was settling in. The moonlight was peeking inside by the small gap between the curtains. Even though the moon was also bright, it couldn't compete with the sun.

Sun was making her heart melt with joy, just like the people she loved.

The people were now far away from her.

Lilly swallowed hard.

Being at the moon's side was not always a bad thing but everyone should be aware that its light was not real. It's deceptive.

Just like the intentions of a person.

Crawling inside the wooden shavings, Lilly couldn't get herself to sleep. Even though the room was silent and peaceful, she couldn't make her heart stop. Her heartbeat was so loud that it felt like someone was hitting her skull with a hammer.

Lilly licked her lips. Her mouth was as dry as a dessert. Her captor had not given her anything to eat nor to drink. She was left helpless inside of a cage. All alone.

All alone, huh?

That's not true.

Lilly opened her eyes. She slowly shifted into the sitting position. She was startled a little as her bare arm met with the cold metal bars.

She thought about the time that Sylvia had trapped her inside of a glass jar. It also made her skin tingle and made her heart pound rapidly inside of her chest. But it was different. Her fright had ended when she saw her best friend's soft gaze.

Even her way of holding her was different, Sarah and Sylvia were so caring when Lilly compared it to the rough movements of her captor.

Lilly shivered at the thought.

She didn't want to be anywhere near the dark-haired girl's merciless hands. She had to find a way to turn back to normal.

The tiny girl waited for her eyes to adjust to the darkness and started looking around. But she didn't need to open her eyes for what she was searching for. The terrible smell of her dead companion was already leading the way.

Taking a shaky breath, Lilly crawled through the cage floor, searching for the hamster with her hand. She stopped when her fingers rubbed against the fur. Even though his fur was soft and fluffy, the skin beneath them was cold.

That's what a lifeless body should feel, Lilly thought as she slowly pets the animal. She had never thought about it but there was always a chance that she could turn out as this hamster. Alone and abandoned without any care. Left to die.

Fresh tears slid down her cheeks.

She hated her condition.

Being a shifter was a curse. She was lucky to have her family and friend along her side but now that was over. She was in some stranger's hands and she didn't have any power to resist their desires.

Lilly bent over to the hamster's belly as her sobs got louder. Ignoring the fact that she was crying on a dead animal, she buried her head in its thick fur.

"I'm sorry," Lilly mumbled as her hands went up and down on Mr. Biscuit.

"I'm so sorry."

She tried to disregard the horrible smell yet it wasn't working. She hugged him as firmly as possible as she broke down. Thoughts about her past life were spiraling in her mind. She needed to accept that this was her life now. No one could save her from the mess that she created all by herself.