Ch. 1: Welcome To Jurassic Hell

DISCLAIMER: Any art besides the cover that I use in this isn't mine, like the one above; credit goes to their respective artists. I also don't own JWCC, cause if I did, Sammy and Yaz would've gotten together. (Edit: Um...so this didn't age well, but I'm sure as hell not mad about it XD)

It started when my mother got me and my twin brother into Jurassic World's newly built Camp Cretaceous, where we'd spend the whole summer enjoying the wonders of Isla Nublar.

Out of the two of us, I was probably the most excited to go even though I'd be missing out on my town's annual music festival. My brother, being a very hygienic and germaphobic thirteen year old, was not so excited.

You see, since my father abandoned us when we were little, Ben has always been afraid of...well, everything. He's afraid of sharks, heights, being abandoned, basically all the pretty basic fears. But what makes him unique from others, is his more abnormal frights; things that go along the lines of getting too dirty, going a whole week without showering, and creatures that can vary from lions to blue jays!

Yeah, doesn't sound like someone who'd enjoy Isla Nublar, does it?

Well, his therapist said it might be the only way he can get over some of his irrational fears and issues. The camping aspect can resolve his craved need to feel clean every minute of the day, as well as help him get used to life without soap and sanitizer 24/7. And meeting new people can help him become more sociable and interactive, which can influence more healthy behaviors.

He's not exactly the only one who needs to grow more social, though I'd never admit it out loud. Mom always said I was as quiet as a mouse when it came to making friends, and even Ben is better at it then I am!

At least he doesn't hide the fact that he's got major OCD!

I always hide what and who I am, because, well...middle school isn't exactly friendly when it come to "being yourself" and all that. Probably why I haven't been able to come out of the closet to my family and only friend. I'm not sure I've even accepted it yet, accepted the fact that I love boys and girls!

It's...it's just a very complicated situation, okay?

And don't get me wrong, I trust my twin brother with my life — who wouldn't? — but this...this is something I can't just share with him knowing he'll be supportive and loving. Some parents, I've heard, can be so friendly and kind until their kids come out, and then they suddenly morph into mirror versions of who they once were.

I'm scared that'll happen to me.

Which is why, instead of talking out my feelings, I sing them. I write songs and play them for myself, and myself only, so I can get out my feelings even with no one to hear.

But now isn't the time to talk about myself. Now, I have to start the story of how Isla Nublar, and what secrets lay upon it, changed me, my brother, and five other kids' lives forever.

————

"Are you two excited?"

My family of three was sat at the dining room table eating breakfast, which had been carefully prepared by my brother. For someone who wasn't into getting messy, he had a strange thing for cooking and getting himself covered in all kinds of foods and ingredients. His therapist had explained how it was just a way of coping with anxiety and his OCD, which I guess makes sense.

Me and my brother both met eyes, both wary and unsure. As the day to leave had come closer, I'd started getting anxious; what if mom got in some kind of trouble while we were gone? What if she got hurt and we wouldn't know? What if something happened at...at the island? It was starting to warp my previous view on how I initially pictured my summer would go.