Ch. 32: Dreams

We were on the monorail, peacefully resting from the chaotic adventure we'd all gone through today. Ben and I sat side by side, him leaning his head on my shoulder, snoring peacefully.

Bumpy was sleeping on my other side and I reached over to run my hand over her little head bumps as she yawned in her sleep.

As for me, I stared out the glass window as the monorail sped over the jungle. The dark skies above were nothing compared to the fear I've been feeling, while the bright light supported by the train was nothing when I thought of how lucky I was to have such an amazing brother.

Ben had been by my side through thick and thin, all throughout today and before. We've survived together. We would continued to do so until my dying breath.

I vowed it.

I promised it.

Just as I was starting to nod off myself, something suddenly flashed through the window. My eyes went wide and I screamed as the head of a soaring pterodactyl got closer and closer, until it slammed right through the glass, which shattered immediately upon impact.

Ben awoke with a start, but was too late to do anything as clawed hand wrapped around him and pulled him forward. The creatures slammed head-first into me, sending me flying forward into the window across from us.

The window shattered, I screamed, and started to fall. I managed to grab onto the floor of the train just before I could disappear into the trees, while Ben's hand barely managed to find my free one. I held on as tight as I could as the pterodactyl pulled and tugged at my brother, making him cry out.

"Hang on, Ben!"

My brother begs, sobs for me to keep hold on him. I hold on as tight as I can to both him and the monorail floor, though I can feel my fingers starting to slip from both grasps.

I look back up to the monorail and see my friends all looking down at me, then start screaming for them to help.

"Guys! K-Kon, Darius, B-Brook-Ah!"

I scream when a particularly sharp tug twists my arm wrong, and a painful crack of electricity sparks up my arm.

My fingers are about to slip from the train, scraping against the sides, when Darius jumps down and grips onto my arm.

"I've got you!" He screams. "Hang on!"

"Darius, Darius, plea-"

"Blake!"

I gasp when Ben's fingers finally fall free from mine, and I see my brother being dragged away through the fog by the beast, screaming and shaking.

"Ben, no!"

The force of the pull that had freed him from my grip made me swing, which in turn loosened Darius' grip on my arm.

It slipped, and I fell.

And fell.

And fell.

And fell.

"Ben!"

————

I wake up a sweaty mess.

I-I didnt just fall...it was a dream!

Right...I'm in bed, at Mitch and Tiff's camp.

Yeah. I remember.

I groan and sit up, listening to the sounds of the jungle. Sunlight, light and not too bright, peaks through the walls of my tent, which tells me I haven't been asleep for too long — and hour at most, I think. Which means I'll have to go back out there at some point and try to pretend I hadn't freaked out in front of three strangers.