Ch. 4: Wu And Bumpy

"You guys what!"

Sammy is gaping at Darius and Kon, who wince at her shout. We were all walking down the road, nearing the parked pickup truck with Roxie and Dave leading the way, while Kon bragged about what happened the night prior.

Of course I fell asleep right when he snuck out! He was probably awake for that reason, not to talk to me!

As much as I'd like to think he was talking to me because he wanted to, I know he wasn't. He was probably just trying to distract me to get by, which led to me talking for once during this whole trip.

Was it bad that, even if it was a distraction, I actually liked it? That I liked talking to someone that wasn't Ben, Mom, or Carrie? I enjoyed talking to Darius, no matter his reasons. I enjoyed...well...I enjoyed!

"Yep!" Kon smirked. "Me and my boy here got an up close viewing of the velociraptors. And if it hadn't been for me, he would've been Dino-chow!"

I look at Ben, who's face is scrunched up in fear at the tale. I giggle and pat him on the shoulder, before looking over at Darius up ahead. He looked like he was silently seething, fists clenching and unclenching at his sides. Something was telling me Kenji's version of the story wasn't completely factual, judging on the glares thrown his way.

I wasn't surprised, the guy is selfish. He probably doesn't even give a crap about puppies as long as he is somewhere in the picture!

We all stop near the truck, and Roxie and Dave lead the boys over to where a giant pile of dinosaur droppings wafts horridly through the air. I feel like I'm gonna puke...

"While you two pick this up, we're going to the genetics lab!" Roxie said, throwing shovels at them. Ben gags as the scent drifts over to us, and I really can't blame him.

"C'mon, Kids!"

We all follow and get in the truck.

As we drive away, Kenji and Darius slowly fade into the distance.

————

As we drive, Brooklyn keeps groaning and scoffing at her phone. Me and Ben look at each other, and I shrug.

"Ugh, I'm still dropping followers?" The girl complains, followed by a list of some of the comments on her videos. She argues with all of them, despite them not being able to actually hear her.

"So, what's your next video?" Sammy asks after the girl turns her phone off. "Ooh, maybe there's baby Dino eggs in the lab! Everyone loves a baby video."

Not wrong...

"Whatever it is, it'll be cool." Brooklyn mutters.

I look over to where Ben is slathering a large layer of sanitizer all over himself, humming all the while. Yasmina watches him with a weird expression, and I almost forget how closed off I am when I stare her down, daring her to say anything about it.

She looks away as soon as she sees my glare, and before I know it I feel slightly guilty and paranoid.

Yes, I am the biggest introvert you will ever see, but when it comes to my brother, it's like I'm a whole other person! Even though we're the same age — we always argue over who came out first, and I'm pretty sure it was me — I always act like a protective big sister when I need to. I don't need to be all over him for cleanliness, because he's got that all covered for himself, but if I ever see so much as anyone looking at him weird...well...

"Need some?"

Ben offers me one of the bottles he carries in his bag, and I decline.

I somehow end up blanketing my own self in it anyway, most likely because my brother's really persistent when it comes to health and tidiness.