Ch. 33: Daddy Issues

Apparently our new secret meeting spot is the stall in the bathroom yurt.

Well, then...

"So there isn't anywhere else we can talk?" I ask as we all stand crowded around the toilet. Darius shakes his head, and besides that, I get no answer.

"Hap is hiding something! Why put an alarm on a yurt?" Brooklyn claims. For once, I'm actually nodding my head in agreement with her words.

"Uh, so a dinosaur or a you can't sneak in and wreck his stuff?"

"I was there too." Kon whispers. "And that alarm was definitely crepuscing me out."

Darius scoffed. "Typical."

Brooklyn glares over at him.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You can't just let this conspiracy stuff go, huh? And for what, a new video to boost your followers?"

Ouch.

"Who said anything about followers? You think I'm doing this to get attention?"

"Yes! That's your whole deal: you're mad Mitch and Tiff haven't heard of you, and now you're doing this!" Suddenly, the boy turns to me. "Don't you agree, Blake? Don't all of you?"

Brooklyn gasped.

"You can't just ask the girl who hates me when you already know the answer!"

"I don't-"

They don't listen, and I watch helplessly as the two duel viciously with each other.

After spitting a few more words out, I finally step away from the wall I was sinking into and carefully place a hand on Darius' shoulder to try and calm him. I already know what I'm about to say will only be pouring gas onto the flames, but I try nonetheless.

"Darius, maybe hear her out. She might have a point."

"What?"

Darius and Brooklyn, as well as the other three, all look at me in surprise. Somewhere inside, even I'm shocked at myself, but I bury it down.

For once, I'm actually agreeing with my enemy. She's not the only person seeing something suspicious going on, but I seem to be the only other person who does.

"Wait, what are you talking about?"

I sigh and look at Brooklyn.

"I...I also think something weird is going on. Brooklyn might be right."

"I'm sorry, you actually agree with me? What!"

I roll my eyes and nod.

"Yes, but it doesn't mean I like you, okay? Darius, I'm just asking you to try and see what we're seeing. Hap is...creepy and Tiff is too enthusiastic to actually be real — no offense, Sammy."

Sammy shrugs.

"And Mitch...well, I don't know about him, but the other two are really weird."

Darius gapes at me, in both disbelief and surprise. Everyone is, but I don't care

"Are you...Are you really agreeing with Brooklyn?"

I feel like smacking the boy but keep from doing so. Instead, I shrug.

"I guess. But, just-"