Ch. 43: Under The Sea

It was only a few days, maybe a week later, that we'd once again returned to the raft idea that we'd tried so numerously before.

However, this new-and-improved design seemed more sturdy and capable of floating further than any of the others.

The only downside, of course, was that it couldn't fit Ben and I's adoptive dinosaur daughter. None of our failed escape-inventions have. It was heartbreaking having to constantly watch Bumpy sit on the island far off in the distance, not knowing if we'd be back moments later or never see it again. Never see Bumpy again.

That's what I was thinking in my head as, for the hundredth time in weeks, Bumpy started to grow smaller. Our raft drifted easily through the light ocean waves, white and musky and filled with the scent of salt that the breeze passed through us. Our make-shift sail, made from parts of Tiff and Mitch's camp sight, was helping push us forward as we kept floating further and further away from Isla Nublar. From our home for the past few months.

Everyone seemed happy, relived to have gotten further than we ever have yet.

Ben and I, however, felt saddened and watched similarly as Bumpy cried and roared for us. I felt like crying.

"Goodbye, Jurassic World." Darius sighed out loud. He finished tying up the sail and stood up alongside Ben and I, seeming a mix of content and sad at leaving.

Bumpy once again bellowed out and it added yet another crack to my swollen heart.

"Goodbye, Bumpy." Ben and I both whispered together. I heard Ben sniff and looked over to see Darius clasping his shoulder to try and comfort him.

The moment is ruined when Kenji starts laughing, shouting curses and insults at the island.

"See you never, shitty dinosaur island! You thought you could eat us? No way! You thought you could stomp us into pancakes? Think again!"

Sammy hops up and joins in, giggling alongside him.

"Yeah! You thought you could crush our spirits? Impossible!"

"Yeah!"

The two high-five. It's an unexpected friendship to have come from this, with their personalities not being quite the same, but I softly smile at their antics nonetheless. Ben, on the other hand, sighs and looks away grimly.

"To be fair, the island did crush my spirit."

My lips sag downward and I reach a hand out to him.

"Ben-"

"But then I defeated Toro!"

I step back when he brightens up again, and just the mention of the dinosaur once more makes my eyes go dizzy with how heavy they roll back into my skull. Sure, at first finding out that my brother had become a badass had been startling, especially the whole Toro story — but now, it was kind of getting annoying with how many times he tried to prove how much he'd changed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really proud of his change, and I guess him talking constantly about his time alone in the wilderness isn't really what bothers me.

But...what does bother me, what makes a small part of me sad about the fact that my brother is stronger and past his timid and fearful stage, is that I no longer have to be the bigger of us. I no longer have to force myself past my comfort zone, out of my remote shell, to protect him.

Some would think I should be grateful for that, but...with how far I myself have come, it just gives my chest a hallow emotion and depth.

I don't have to protect him anymore. I no longer have the ability to protect mom (not for now, at least), so what do I give to the team? Certainly not protection or safety, that's for sure.