Ch. 50: Lost Family

FOUR MONTHS AGO...

She saw it on TV.

It was like her entire world had paused, almost like when Benjamin had left. But it was different this time, because it was the two people that made her whole world. The two things that were currently in trouble, and she was nowhere near them.

She was quick to reach for her cell and ring up her boss. The TV played as background noise, with a series of words sliding across the screen below the reporter.

'Jurassic World currently engaged in breakout; dozens dead, evacuation in place.'

The phone buzzed for a few minutes. Amy was starting to hyperventilate.

Was her boss dead? Was he killed in the chaos?

Were her children gone?

The buzzing stopped, and a familiar voice entered her ear, though it wasn't who she wanted to talk to.

"Hello, Jurassic World staff speaking; we are currently unavailable to-"

"Lowery, it's me."

"Amy? What are you-"

"Where's Masrani? I need to talk to him right now."

There was silence. Then...

"A-Amy, I'm...I'm sorry. Masrani's dead."

Amy's stomach dropped. Her boss was gone. Did that mean...were the kids...

"Lowery, I...can you check on the Camp Cretaceous site? Please."

More silence.

"Okay, oh, God, is...are the kids-"

"Yes. Masrani let me send them with the other five chosen children, but I haven't heard from them or Roxie, or David, or Claire. What...what if-"

"Hey, hey, it's okay! Amy. Amy, calm down, okay? I'll check the feeds. I think we sent some people down there a few hours ago; if anything shows up, they might've picked the kids up."

Any thought back to when she first applied for the company. She'd been desperate then, having gone from job to job with increasing difficulty. Benjamin leaving with most of her finances and accounts weighed a heavy toll on her and her family. She was just glad that while he was with her, he never laid a finger on either of them.

Herself...she didn't like to recount those awful times.

She eventually put herself back together, with the help of both of her beautiful angels. They had encouraged her to apply for the open job, since it paid well and they knew she'd always had a small fascination with science.

Now, though, she absolutely despised the subject.

After a few minutes, Lowery's voice returned. But his tone was sorrowful and hesitant.

"Amy, I found the feed. Um...the Indominous Rex...it tore the cabins to shreds, I...I don't know if-"

Amy screamed.

{}{}{}{}

Carrie was worried when her mom called her name. Typically, she only called her down when she needed chores done, or on the rare occasion that she was in trouble. She'd already gotten everything she needed done finished, and she couldn't recall doing anything that would irritate her mother.

Then what could is possibly be?

When she reached the living room, where her mom sat on the sofa, she followed her gaze to the television screen.

"As of now, we are unclear on the whereabouts of the island and park owner, Simon Massarani. Contact is unstable between Jurassic World and the mainland. The last time anyone has heard from the island, it was for the emergency closing of all transportation to the park, as one of the dinosaurs has escaped earlier this morning.

"Whether the livelihood of the park remains stable is yet to be determined. As far as we know, however, the future of Jurassic World may be in ruins."

Carrie didn't need to ask her mother, let alone greet her or say goodbye, and she had her shoes on and was out the door in seconds.

{}{}{}{}

Amy wasn't sure how long she'd been crying.

An hour? A few minutes? Time was just a blurry aspect of life as she lie crumpled on the kitchen floor. Her jacket was stained with her own tears, which had stained her cheeks a pale grey. Her throat was sore from the cries and screams.

That pain was nothing compared to the inner terror twisting her insides.

Had they gone quickly? Was there any pain or none?

Had there been a slim chance they'd survived?

Amy didn't know. She didn't know, and it tore her apart.

She was pushing herself up to her knees when she heard a knock on the door. Shaking, she tried to push herself back together, but her composure would shrink no matter how hard she tried.

Just thinking of the way her kids might've been crushed, torn, eaten-

Amy wasn't expecting Carrie Evans when she answered the door. The girl was a friend of her daughter, often bringing her over for hangouts and sleepovers. It was clear they had a deep connection, of which Amy often questioned as something more than what Blake was letting on. She wasn't going to confront her, though. She needed Blake to come clean herself, for herself.

That might never happen, now.

"Carrie? What-"

"I-I saw the news. Are...Are they..."

Carrie couldn't finish. She already knew the answer; judging by how diminished Ms. Pincus looked, she'd just gotten off the phone with one of her coworkers, or the boss. And the news was clearly bad.

The two girls hugged. And they cried.