Ch. 7: Things Fall Apart

"What's up, Camp Cretaceous?"

I don't even look up from my journal when Darius throws the doors open, and neither does Ben from his drawing. I continue writing music note ideas, crossing out ones that I know wouldn't work together.

"Not in a "woo-hoo" mood this morning, Darius." Kon says from where he's spinning in a desk chair. "Not after yesterday. Trekking through a rainstorm will do that."

Ben and I finally look up from what we're doing, giving the boy incredulous looks.

"We only had to walk because you crashed our gyrosphere." Ben scoffed, before taking a sip of his apple juice. I nod in agreement, before going back to my writing.

"But today's a new day! Kayak day!" Darius tries. "Who doesn't wanna paddle alongside dinosaurs; real dinosaurs! It's gonna be awesome right?"

He pauses, looking around the room with abrupt confusion.

"Wait, where are Dave and Roxie?"

"The babysitters took off early and left this." Kon explains, shoving their note into the boy's chest. Darius mutters it out loud.

"Do they understand how old we are?" Kon scoffs when Darius reads about the kids menus. Ben holds up his picture, which had him, me, and Bumpy colored on the back of one of the menus.

"Hmm...I have notes."

"Yasmina!"

I pat Ben on the back and glare as Yaz, who shrugs.

Before I can say anything, the doors suddenly slam open once again, revealing a very angry looking Brooklyn standing in the doorway.

"Brooklyn! What's new on the Internet Superstar?"

"I wouldn't know, because when I went to go get my phone from it's charger, it wasn't there! Someone stole my phone!"

For some reason, Brooklyn was looking mainly at Sammy, which caught my suspicion. Had something happened between them that I didn't know about?

"Brooklyn, who hasn't had your phone?" Yaz sasses. The two momentarily glare at each other, and I suddenly remember that Yaz had been apart of that fight a few days ago, too. It wasn't just me and Brooklyn that hated each other, right...

"I needed to check the weather last night." Ben admitted.

"Dr. Sattler posted a new column on microfossils yesterday..." Darius shrugged.

Kon whirls around to a stop behind him. "Too good to miss the selfie oop, but I haven't used it since then, I swear!"

Brooklyn scoffs, before glaring back at Sammy. The girl shifts uncomfortably under her gaze, and tucks a piece of hair behind her ear.

"I...haven't seen it either."

"Really?"

"Hey, hey, it's okay! Since we're going kayaking later, we'll have plenty of time to look for your phone."

"Oh, I know exactly where to look. I also think that whoever took it, is trying to hide whatever's on it. What do you think, Sammy?"

Brooklyn leans in, making the girl lean back in fear. It makes me want to slap Brooklyn. How dare she assume Sammy took her phone? Why would she have any reason to?!

"Um, what?"

I didn't seem to be the only one agitated by Brooklyn's assumption, because Yaz slammed her book down on the couch and got up to stare daggers into the other girl's eyes.