Ch. 66: Mission Gone Haywire

"So why did you never tell me?"

Ben and I now sit at the edge of the hill. Neither of us are crying, though tear tracks still stain his cheeks. Bumpy lays behind us groaning as we all wait for the signal from Darius.

We both hold hands and watch the chopper with faint fascination, though my eyes stay tied to Brooklyn being hauled around like a dog on a leash.

"Well, uh, kinda the same reasons as you. I was just so scared that you and mom would hate me or...or disown me. Also, the kids at school weren't that great, so..."

He chuckles. "Yeah, I understand. But...I would've supported you, even if I was internalizing the hate. It-It might've actually helped to know I wasn't the only one."

I squeeze his hand and smile.

"Well, now you know you aren't. And...I'm sorry that-"

He quickly shakes his head, knowing what I'm about to say instantly.

"Hey, no, no, it's...don't. You and Darius are great together, and honestly, I think you two fit perfectly. It's okay."

"Good," I smirk. "Cause I wouldn't want you stealing him away!"

"Hey, you just said-"

"I've got the laptop!"

Our eyes immediately sway from each other to the field. My eyes grow wide as I see Kenji, computer in hand, racing across the field to Brooklyn and her captors.

"Huh? I thought Darius was making the exchange?" Ben says.

"Yeah, what...what's he doing?"

Ben helps me to my feet.

"I guess the plan's changed," he shrugs, patting Bumpy. "C'mon girl, it's time for one last battle together."

She groans and pushes to her own feet. Ben hops on, but I hesitate, looking out at Kenji's running form.

Why would Darius change the plan? He was so sure of himself that this would work...

Maybe Kenji insisted he be the one to do it? I could see that. But why would Darius agree to it when he'd been dead set on him doing it?

"You coming, Bee?" Ben hollers at me.

I pause for another second.

Darius must've let him take his place. I could see him doing that.

"Coming."

I hop on Bumpy and clap my hands behind me, waking the other ankylosaurus' and bringing them to attention.

"Come on, guys, let's go!"

We make a break for the field.

{}{}{}{}

Whatever's going on is interrupted as we emerge from the tree line. As we get closer, I see that Wu was getting ready to check the computer, the mercenary next to him holding Brooklyn back from running to Kenji. The parade of dinosaurs behind us have definitely caught their attention, and Ben and I cheer and laugh at the looks on their faces.

"Remember Bumpy?" I call out to the scientist. "How do you like her asymmetry now?"

They try to book it for the helicopter with Brooklyn, and Kenji tries his best to fight the soldier dude off. He fails, but so do they, as the ankylos keep them from reaching their chopper and have them running the other way to escape.

Chaos ensues.

I find that we lose sight of the mercenary, Kenji, and Brooklyn, but I can still see Dr. Wu struggling for his life and fumbling with the laptop in the middle of the stampede.