Ch. 10: Happy Birthday, Eddie

It didn't take long until we were caught.

I'm hindsight, trying to hide a baby dinosaur while walking at a ridiculously fast pace through the jungle isn't exactly the easiest task, nor was it the wisest. But hey, at least we tried, right?

"Guys, we don't have time for this!" Yaz groaned at us. I pet Bumpy on the head protectively. "There are dinosaurs eating people out here, and Bumpy can't keep up!"

"She can move faster. Ankylosauruses run fast, right Darius?"

"When they're fully grown, maybe, but she's just..." he trails off. Bumpy lies down, snuggling against Ben's lap and closing her eyes. Kon scoffs.

"Wow! Yeah, total speed demon! Say goodbye, guys."

As they walk away, me and Ben look down at the little girl. She looks up at us, eyes beady and wide. Me and Ben lock eyes, first sad and desperate, then hardening into determination.

"No!"

Both of us shouting at the same time stopped the others and made them turn back to face us.

"You say hello, because she is coming with us! So...there."

Way to stand your ground, Ben.

I chuckle to myself.

"Ben, Blake, you aren't thinking this through! Bumpy's too slow."

My fists clench, and I glare at Brooklyn hard.

"Just like I'm too quiet, huh?"

Brooklyn's eyes widen, taken aback.

"What? I-"

"Yeah, go ahead and tell me you weren't going to say that!"

"I wasn't!"

"You were at least thinking it. You even said it before! And I hate that you think the only things I say when I do talk are bitter towards you."

"Since when was this about what I said?" Brooklyn's own eyes narrow, and we start approaching each other. The others try to get our attentions, but fail.

"Since you insulted Bumpy because of what you think of me."

"I never insulted her! Nor did I say anything because I think poorly of you."

I scoff. "Seriously?"

"Yeah, seriously!"

"Guys, can you please just-"

"Why the hell do you hate me? Tell me now! I want to know what I ever did to make you hate me!"

Brooklyn falters, eyes wide. This time, she doesn't yell back at me. Instead, she just stares with surprised eyes.

I just did it again. I fucking blew up like a radioactive missel! Why can't I just keep my emotions in control?

I step back, away from the girl, then kneel back down next to Bumpy. Everyone's quiet, awkward tension making the air feel thicker than it is.

"Blake, I...I don't-"

"Van!"

Brooklyn's interrupted by Ben, who's pointing ahead. We all turn to see a random black van parked in the middle of nowhere, unoccupied and looking like it has been for a while.

"Where did that come from?"

"The heavens? Thank you blessed man above!" Kon blows a kiss to the sky before taking off for the van.

"We can put Bumpy in there, too!" Ben says, and I smile.

————