Ch. 67: Off the Island

We'd set sail a little less than twenty-four hours ago. Costa Rica was still a fair distance away, but by this point, Kenji had pinpointed that we'd most likely make it either right as the sun set or a little bit after.

Either way, it meant home was near.

It meant mom.

Yes, it sadly also meant no more Bumpy. No more playing guitar at night as a fire roared between the campers. No more sleeping with the stars above my face. No more running away from dinosaurs trying to eat you and getting rapid adrenaline rushes from doing so.

No more adventures.

No more Camp Fam.

Those were the hardest parts about leaving. We didn't know if we'd ever really see each other ever again — what was even harder was the risk that Darius and I wouldn't last now that we wouldn't be together 24/7. Those ideas simmered and boiled, reaching frightening levels of heat and intensity.

I tried my best not to freak out about it, I really did. But I was hard.

I had grown to see these kids as my family. As people that I really love.

What would happen when we were all separated?

{}{}{}{}

TWO MONTHS AGO

Briiiiiiing
Briiiiiiing
Briiiiiiing
Briiii-

"This is the Pincus residence, how may I-"

"Amy! It's me, it's Roxie!"

"And David!"

"Shhhh!"

"Rox? Dave? Where the hell have you two been!"

"Look, Amy, before you freak out-"

"Freak out? FREAK OUT? Oh, Roxanne, we are far from freaking out! Do you have any idea how horrible these past four months have been? Do you understand that I've lost the only two things that mattered so much to me because of that- that- that stupid park! Because of Henry! I've lost everything, and now you dare to come and call me? After you ghosted me and made me think you were dead? My kids are dead because of you! Because of me! I don't have anything and we are all the blame!"

"Amy...I had no idea you-"

"Oh, no, you really didn't. Ben and Blake were everything to me. I trusted you to take care of my kids, and they are GONE. They are gone! Do you understand?"

"I-"

"You don't! And you wanna know what's worse? A month after it happened, Benjamin came back. He used my grief for more money. He abandoned me again. He took my pain and my kids' deaths to his own fucking advantage. He never cared about them, and he showed it when he came back for a solid week and disappeared again without any word! I lost money, I lost my babies, and I'm in debt! I-I-I tried to...I couldn't...I felt I couldn't live anymore, not after all of that."

"Amy-"

"And you have the fucking audacity to call me. Whatever you called to say, whatever pitiful apologies you prepped for this, I don't want to hear it. You got my kids killed. Fuck you!"

*Beep*

{}{}{}{}

"Are we really off the island, or is this a dream?"

"Well, if it were a dream, I'm thinking we'd have a change of clothes," I joke as I set down a plate of berries on the table center deck.

"What do you mean?" Ben joins in. "I've always wanted a signature look!"