Ch. 73: Dinosaurs are back...just great!

"It's too quiet!" I heard Kenji complain behind me, making my eyes roll for what had to be the hundredth time in the past few hours. It couldn't have been too long, though. At least it didn't really feel like it.

Since departing the canyons, though, it has been complaint after complaint from that rich boy. What had began as an uplifted air between the whole of us had drifted back into an atmosphere of exhaustion. My throat began to once again itch for soothing, while the heat levels once again began to rise with the morning sun drifting upward into the air.

"Is that seriously what you're most annoyed about?" I say to him. "We're in the middle of nowhere, without water or food, and surrounded by unknown. Yet you're upset about it being too quiet?"

"Well yea-"

"And boring?"

"That was an hour ago-"

"And too sandy?"

"To be fair, my shoes are full-"

"Oh, and let's not forget when you it was too dinosaur-less. Like...I don't get why you want to be running for your life anymore?"

"Well," Kenji huffed, crossing his arms. "I'm just saying that at least we were doing something that wasn't just walking in silence! Am I right?"

The last part was aimed at Brooklyn, I'm sure, but when I turned around again he was on his ass, having tripped over...nothing?

Everyone stopped and came over to Kenji. The boy flipped over onto his knees and looked at the weird sand-covered thing lying on the ground. It was dented in ways that it definitely wasn't just a rock.

"What the hell is that?" I voice as Kenji inspects it. He rubs his hand across it, wiping sand off and exposing shiny metal to us and the sun. We all gasp.

"Metal? Where did that come from?"

"My guess is there," Kenji said, pointing up at a weird set of tracks printing in the ground. We're all quick to hop up and follow the footprints (which didn't really look like footprints somehow? It certainly wasn't animal or human). Kenji led the way, eyes stuck on the path as we all followed him.

Then, out of nowhere, he suddenly fell back like he'd run head first into something, fallen back flat on his butt. We all stopped, wide eyed and confused.

"Kenji, you okay?" Ben asks.

He pushes himself back up and looks up at where he'd ran into air. My eyebrows furrow alongside his and the others. I step forward, past Kenji, who's being pulled up by Brook and Ben. I slowly place my hand up and push forward, until it stops. On thin air. Against nothing.

"Huh?"

There's a strange buzzing sound, and a small line of light comes through the nothingness. Unable to help myself, I put both hands on the invisible walls and push. After a moment, there's a gasp that comes from the wall as a weird unseeable door opens up in the middle of nowhere. Behind this door, there's a hallway, lit by vibrating lights inserted in the ceiling, leading down to what appeared to be another modern-like door.

Everyone comes up and surrounds me with similar looks of bewilderment. Brooklyn's mouth is actually gaping so much that I fear for her jaw, while Sammy's eyes could be platters for strawberries.

"Um...are we actually gonna go in here or are we gonna run?" Sammy whispers.

Darius doesn't answer as he trudged forward, which gets everyone else walking after him.

"Okay, I guess we are!"

Silently, we all stroll on through the weird hall. Around us, other halls branch out from the one we're in, larger and longer, and seeming endless. Before we get to the other door we'd had our eyes first set on, Kenji calls for us and we turn to see him and Brook jogging to a different one. Shrugging, we follow.