Ch. 75: Distrust is a dangerous thing

TW: Suicidal ideation and shit...uh...and a hell of a lot of angst 😬

Also, not beta read, sorry for any errors!

"Please sit," Dr. Turner says upon the lot of us entering. She gestures to the sofa, where everyone except Ben and I sit. Ben leans against the arm, while I simply stand to the side with my arms crossed, waiting for someone to talk.

Dr. Turner looks at me briefly, a weird look on her face, before sighing and sagging down in the armchair across from us.

"Look, I am truly sorry for...that. But you have to understand that this island isn't Isla Nublar, and there are stronger boundaries. All I need to know is why I am being lied to."

Brooklyn scoffed, beating me right to the punch. "Us lying to you? Hm, have you ever though that maybe seven kids being trapped on a dinosaur island for six whole months might've traumatized them? No? Well, I'll give you the jest."

The girl leans forward, hands on knees, eyes staring intensely at the other woman. Usually, I wasn't jealous of Brooklyn in any capacity, even before we'd made up. But I was currently craving to be in her spot right now. I wanted to be the interrogator.

Stop being so harsh, I heard a voice in my head pipe up. Maybe Dr. Turner isn't as bad as you think.

I ignore that voice and tune back in.

"We nearly got eaten hundreds of times! We had to force ourselves to survive through multiple kinds of pain, fear, and exhaustion, and in spite of it all, we've gone through much worse hell! The first human adults we had seen since we'd first been abandoned turned out to be dinosaur poachers who threatened our lives for the sake of their hunt. Next, I was kidnapped by another group of people wanting to harbor information for God-knows-what back on the island! They threatened my life, threatened all of us, because they cared more about themselves than...than...than us! Than kids, who were scared and hurt and tired, and just wanted to go home!"

Brooklyn pauses briefly to take a deep breath, before narrowing her eyes.

"And that's not even all," she chuckled bitterly. "The fact that you just so happen to work for the company that is hurting my friend's family doesn't do you much better."

At this, Turner genuinely looks confused. But I keep my guard up.

"What are you talking about?" The woman says. "What-"

"Mantah Corp..."

I glance at Sammy, who'd said it. She was staring invisible holes into the floor of the cave with her hands gripping tight to her knees.

"How do you know that?" Dr. Turner asks. "That's secret information. Wait...did you guys go through my things?"

"It was in the name of our own safety," I growl, to which she instantly quiets.

Good, a part of me hums. While another scolds: Just shut the hell up, would you?

"Look, I...my family, we live on a farm back in Texas, and...and it's been in my family for generations! It's important to us, to me! We supplied meat to Jurassic World when it...when it was still open, and Mantah Corp took advantage of that. They said if my family didn't help them spy on the enemy, that being Simon Mazarani, they would take away our home. The threatened our home, our lives, and...and made me spy. And since you work for them, we just...I just couldn't trust you. I'm sorry."

I want to ask why Sammy would apologize. I mean, not even an hour ago, we'd seen a robot she neglected to inform us about kill a dinosaur before our very eyes. It almost killed us.