Chapter 78: Rude Awakening

*NOTE: This was not edited — apologies for inevitable errors!*

"Okay, after careful analysis of the nutrient samples, I've discovered alarmingly high levels of receptor antagonists, as well as adrenal additives."

All of us were now huddled around Dr. Turner, who began to pass a vial of glowing green liquid that ever so slightly bubbled. I shifted in place as Darius took it, before he tried to hand it to me. I quickly shook my head and let him give it to Kenji instead.

Should I have more trust in Mae Turner? Probably. Did she give Darius her guitar to give to me? Yes, yes she did. But that didn't mean I still wasn't wary. As guilty as I felt for it, all I could see in my head were flashing images of Mitch and Tiff pointing weapons at us, and that mercenary guy holding Brooklyn tight by the arm.

At least Darius seemed to accept my mistrust at this point. After passing the substance to our friend, he simply gave me a reassuring smile and took my hand firmly in his own. I gave him a squeeze and a grin to show my appreciation, warmth fluttering through my face and chest at such contact.

"These must be the cause of the elevated combative state of the animals who've invested them."

All of a sudden, Kenji leaned in and whisper-shouted into my face.

"Dude, what is she talking about?"

With a sigh, the scientist stood up from her seat and translated her own words.

"The T. Rex food's been tampered with," she said. She then looked down at her tablet and swiped at something on the dimly lit screen. "They're adding things that make the dinos more aggressive, and inhibits their ability to feel pain."

The heartbroken look on Darius' face at this was absolutely soul-crushing.

Sammy growled and looked off to the side, obviously and understandably pissed. "Mantah Corp is the worst!"

Darius suddenly moved and grabbed the green vial from Kenji before passing it back to the doctor. "Why would they do that?"

"I have no idea," she shook her head. "But it seems more important than ever to get you kids off the island."

Mom. Carrie. Home.

We're so close!

Kenji suddenly lets out a violent cough as he attempts to back up the scientist's words. The fit is actually so bad that he nearly doubled over, barely holding his upper body up as he coughed up into the sleeve of his shirt. Everyone's eyes turn on him with matching glances of worry.

"Are you feeling okay?" Brooklyn frowned. Kenji quickly hauls himself back up, clearing his throat, in an attempt to appear normal again. It is very ineffective. "Always. Something...just caught in my throat."

When Brooklyn is sure he's fine, she turns around and melts into an expression of pure and utter exhaustion. Quite honestly, I couldn't blame her in the slightest.

"Great. Trying to get off yet another island. Any ideas?"

We all go silent.

Then Dr. Turner gasps.

"The supply plane! It comes every two weeks, only..." she trails off and looks down at her tablet with disappointment. "Only the next ones not due for another ten days."

"We can't wait that long," I cry. "That's...that's too long, we can't! We need to get home today!"

"She's right," Yaz backs me up. "We can't wait. There has to be another-"

"Maybe we don't have to," Brooklyn suddenly cuts off. She looks up at Turner and asks if there's another way to make the plane come faster, to which he scientist hums and replies that an emergency would have to occur in order for it to come early.