Ch. 53: Lost and Found

Seventeen days. That's what I counted.

Since then, I've made a pretty good warrior of myself. Maybe not as badass as my brother, but enough to keep myself breathing as I continued looking for my friends.

I got better at shooting after a while. My first victim had been thrown to the compies. I tried to roast it and take a bite out of it, but I found pterodactyls were just as bitter on the inside as they were alive.

Compies, on the other hand, were actually pretty juicy.

Me from weeks ago would have vomitted at the thought of doing such a thing. That wasn't current me, though. I was done with being the weak piece of shit.

No more dealing with the bullshit I was stuck in by hiding behind anyone.

This wasn't just about proving Brooklyn wrong, anymore. This was about proving my past self wrong. This was about growing.

This was about getting home.

{}{}{}{}

My hair gets cut before I realize it.

I don't even remember actually doing it; I just reach up at some point to check on my pony tail, and only find short frizzles of what once was.

When I find a nearby stream, I peak into the flowing water at the reflection that meets me.

(A/N: Looks kinda similar to Beverly Marsh from IT (2017), which I've recently found to be one of my favorite movies

(A/N: Looks kinda similar to Beverly Marsh from IT (2017), which I've recently found to be one of my favorite movies. Anyways...)

I...look pretty.

I look free.

Different.

But free.

I brush a hand through my shorter locks and fluff it up a bit. It doesn't really get rid of how messy it is, but it's better anyways.

I smile to myself.

I grab my stuff and leave.

{}{}{}{}

Nineteen days.

It's an early morning when I find a strange, cement building. But that isn't what interests me first.

There's a path, a road, stretching from the building's door and bending through the jungle.

And every road had to lead somewhere, so that might just be my key to finding everyone again. However, I first decide I might as well look around this random place, thinking there could be something in here that could help in some other way; maybe a working phone, some more food.

The door creaks open to reveal a dark staircase — one flight leading up, the other down.

I choose to go down.

I hold my bow close while I take gentle, cautious steps down into the dark abyss, where I'm eventually lead into a tunnel system full of tubes and vents running along the corridor walls. There are multiple directions that I could take, but I go right, as I spot a doorway that way.