Ch. 36: Trust Issues

Somehow within his binds, Hap managed to get to his feet. All of us jump back in surprise, him having been asleep only moments ago.

"You're awake?"

"Of course I'm awake. You think I'm gonna be taken out by a bunch of kids?"

Ben pushed me behind him and stepped forward, threatening Hap with the shocker by putting it right in his face and switching it on. The sparks of electricity did nothing to fear the man, though that's not what confused me about the situation.

"Put that down, Boy, before you get yourself hurt."

Ben practically growled as he slowly stepped towards Hap, eyes intent.

"Someone's getting hurt, old man, but it ain't me." Ben eased up the pressure, making the sparks bigger and brighter. Kon cheered Ben on while Brooklyn and I were shaking our heads. Hap just tempted Ben by shouting at him, and by the way Ben's eyes shown with bright red light, I was terrified he'd actually listen.

"Everybody chill!" Brooklyn finally screamed, jumping in between the two. Ben stepped back and gawked at her. "Lower your weapon, Ben."

Ben scoffed. "You're protecting him? He just tried to kill you five minutes ago!"

I move forward and gently place a hand on Ben's shoulder to calm him, which works to some degree as he turns to look at me.

"We're not gonna electrocute a human being, Ben. That's-"

"He almost electrocuted you!" Ben shouted. "I say it's more than fair."

Hap cut in yelling, "We don't have time for this! You kids have to trust me, I'm trying to save your lives."

Kon scoffs. "Yeah, somehow I don't believe that." He says.

"It's true! Just let me explain before we all get killed, before your friends get killed!"

Darius...Yasmina...Sammy...

They're all with Mitch and Tiff.

They're in trouble!

"No way! I'm not going to-"

"Ben, maybe we should listen."

Ben shakes his head. "Are you serious? Blake, he just tried to kill you and now you wanna make friends?"

I sigh. "That's not what I'm saying. Let's just...see what he wants."

He looks at me and we have a silent battle. No words shared, just eyes flickering trying to see who will break first. Kon and Brooklyn watch with open mouths.

After Brooklyn whispers something to Kon, Ben finally breaks and the tension in his shoulders fall.

"Okay, fine. But I'm still gonna be on guard."

"Thank God..." Hap sighs. He moves to sit, almost tripping backward without the use of his hands. When he does, we all gathered around him, Ben warily holding the shocker in front of him.

"Okay, start talking. Why were you-" Brooklyn starts, before Hap cuts her off.

"Are these Windsor Knots? Where'd you learn to tie people up?"

"Hey! We're asking the questions."

Kon leaned forward and smirked. "Yeah! Dude here has a dinosaur and he's not afraid to use her."

He pointed over at the very "intimidating" looking Bumpy casually eating a cluster of grass. Brooklyn groaned and Kon sighed. Hap wore a look of inconvenience and impatience.

"Don't worry guys, I got this."

Ben stepped forward and, as tempted as I was, I didn't stop him.

After a strange switch off between who had the most impressive scars and moments, Brooklyn interrupted and stopped the fight. Of all the people I'd expect to punch a hammerhead shark, she was one of the lowest on the list — Yasmina ranked the highest. But really, it wasn't too surprising.