Ch. 71: Water and Berries

"No way, he seriously did that?"

"Yes!" I laugh hysterically. Brooklyn is gripping her stomach, folding in on herself as she herself giggles wildly at my story. We've been walking for what can't be a simple hour — probably a good hour and a half, at least. The water pipes have lead us nowhere, but right now, we don't focus on that.

"Okay, okay — while I do remember Ben being germaphobic as heck, I didn't think he'd ever do that!"

"Well, believe it! But if you ever ask him, he'll deny it until he's in the grave. Also, please don't tell him I told you because he would kill me if he knew I did!"

She chuckles, this time much softer.

"I won't, don't worry. Secret's safe with me!"

I raise my eyebrow.

"You? The out-in-the-open-always-online video star? I'm not sure I can trust you."

"Hey! I'm not that open of a book! Trust me, I have plenty of things you and the others don't know about."

"Like?" I smirk.

"Like my secret th- hey!"

I snort as she shoves me away playfully, glaring, but not at all full of menace.

"Damn it! I was so close to uncovering one of your deepest, darkest secrets!"

"Well, nice try! You never will."

"Heyyyy, I thought we said we'd be more open about our feelings?"

Brooklyn rolls her eyes.

"Our feelings, not secrets! And right now I feel very offended that you'd be so cruel as to try and trick one of my personal things out of me."

"And I'm very offended that you'd assume such a thing of me!"

"You literally just said-" she cuts off with a sudden gasp, before suddenly bolting forward. I watch and follow her reaction similarly, because up ahead is a big pile of rocks stuck together, with bits and pieces of sunlight poking through the spaces between them.

"I bet that's a way out!"

Brook tries to jump to reach the nearest space, but finds herself too short to do so. She quickly gestures to me.

"Blake, come up here and give me a boost."

"Of course."

I start to climb up to her, putting my hand up against the rocks for balance. But suddenly, the rock pushes forward without warning, making me lose balance and fall back to the floor.

Brooklyn jumps down and helps me to my feet.

"I'm okay," I groan, rubbing my ass. Goddamn rocks!

"Well, that was easier to accomplish than I'd anticipated," Brooklyn says, looking at the now accessible pass between the rocks, which poured sunlight in greater amounts.

"You're welcome," I say. She smiles and grabs my hand.

"Let's go!"

{}{}{}{}

A big smile grows on my face as I hear familiar voices reach my ears.

"-fault."

Brooklyn gasps softly, drawing my attention briefly from the voice coming just around the rock and to a small pool of water spilling out from a pipe built into the side of the rock. We both move to grab some, but I stop us both.

First, we make sure the others are okay.

She doesn't need me to tell her this, and nods just with me giving her a small look. We continue going towards the voices.