Ch. 64: Missing You Saved Me

Well, it turns out, my sixth sense had been correct.

We'd barely even made it a few yards away from where we'd left before I was suddenly being pushed to the ground by a shadow.

Hands grabbed my shoulders and thrusted them to the Earth, legs pinning my bottom half down. I yelped and screamed in surprise at the attack. I tried to move, but the assailant was much stronger than me.

"Get off of her!"

"What the hell!"

It doesn't take long for the others to get the person off of me, and as soon as I regain my freedom I crawl back and push myself up to my feet.

Kenji has my attacker pinned to the ground, holding their arms behind their backs.

"Who the hell are you?"

It's then that I recognize something about them.

They're wearing a helmet.

"Let go of me, Kid!" Our pilot screams. But learning of this identity only makes Kenji's grip on her tighter and his face contort into anger.

Ben steps forward, swaying briefly, but staying up and flying down at the woman.

"Why would you attack her? What are you doing?"

The woman grunts, twisting her head around the face us. I realize then that half of her helmet was dented inward, while the bottom half was cracked and on the verge of falling off. She scowls at us and shakes in Kenji's grip.

"You kids were just gonna leave me there to die! After I helped you escape from that damn dinosaur!"

"You could've just revealed yourself and joined us," I scoffed. "Just...what kind of logic are you pulling?"

"Let go of me!"

Kenji pushed her further down.

"Hell no, not after you tried to hurt Blake. Who says you won't try it on us again?"

"I can't-"

Her words were cut off by a screech.

A familiar one, that was coming from above us.

The thing was, though, it wasn't in the sky.

As soon as I turned my head to face up, I caught sight of a looming shadow sitting in the branches of the canopy above me. The moon dripping through the umbrella of leaves illuminated it's position, with its wings slowly outstretched and it's head poised forward, ready to lunge at us.

My body stiffens, as does everyone else's.

Well, except for that stupid pilot.

When she sees an opportunity to escape after Kenji's touch in her weakens, she takes it. She pushes him off and to the side, glancing up at the pteranodon hovering above. Her eyes widen in fear, and she turns and bolts away.

The thing's head turns from us to her as she screams. We all yelp when it leaps down, only to stretch out its wings and glide over us, speeding on the direction the pilot woman had gone.

I know it's horrible, but we all sigh in relief.

"Well, now that that's done, why don't we-"

Kenji is cut off.

The sound of the woman's screams growing louder brings our gazes upward. Through the openings in the trees, I catch a glimpse of her struggling body being dangled high up in the air. Horror strikes me as I see another pteranodon approach and grab hold of the woman's legs. Her screams reverberate through the sky as the two start to play a disturbing game of tug-o-war with the woman.