12. Norah, Fix it

"I'm just relieved that you're actually alive," Sarah said dramatically

     "I'm just relieved that you're actually alive," Sarah said dramatically. I sighed in relief after recalling all the events that took place today. I shared her sentiments too. If looks could kill, Duke would've murdered me after what I said to him.

I just wished I could shake the feeling that the seriousness of the corporate world affected Duke more than what we see on surface value. So much so that his own freedom depends on it.

I kicked the pebbles at my feet with a frown. "Barely, I almost didn't make it. Duke is just so annoying."

     "Annoying you say? You were pretty pumped to go out with him today. Are you sure you don't like him?" I glared at her, and she shrugged innocently. "I'm just saying! These things can happen you know"

     "Yeah well, some things shouldn't happen just because they can... like Walker being twenty minutes late," I glanced at my watch and immediately felt uneasy. He'd let me know if he was running late. I really hoped nothing serious happened to him.

"I don't understand why you won't get your own ride, you have the money," she suggested. I glanced at the bright pink Porsche she was inclined against with a small smile.

"When you're the single eligible heir for your parent's company, they tend to be overprotective," I explained.

"Single eligible? Why does that sound like-"

"Like my mother went and had a bastard out of wedlock and ran away to start a new family?" I chuckled wryly.

Her face fell. "That's terrible Norah."

"You're telling me," I sighed and folded my arms. "It's been two years. My dad and I have been trying to pick up the pieces ever since."

And it hasn't been easy for him to do so. Hence, why I'm back in America. Less stress and distraction for him.

     Silence settled between us for a few seconds while students continued to exit the building and leave the compound. I glanced at my watch again, deciding to call Walker if he didn't show up in the next five minutes.

     "I don't know much about the business burdens one must face as an heir. My folks just happened to be the best in real estate and that made them able to afford me the lifestyle I currently have," Sarah said, giving me a small smile.

"Do you plan to walk in their footsteps?"

She scoffed. "I'm still confused about what I want to do so whenever anyone asks me that question, I just say yes...how about you? Do you actually want to run a company?"

I shrugged. "Honestly it's all I've thought about. It's hard not seeing myself doing it."

"Still...make sure you think about it carefully."

     It didn't matter how much I thought about it. There's no way I could be like my mother, filled with selfish motives. The only possible way for me to walk away from the world that awaits me is by finding someone else to carry on my family's legacy.