10. Norah's Trial Run | PT 2.

Inside felt homey

Inside felt homey.

    It was warm, and oddly enough, smelt like cookies. Upon entering, you're immediately looking at an opened space where the Elders sat in plush-looking sofas and chairs. They were either chatting with each other, playing bingo, or watching the news.

And of course, eating cookies.

    I smiled at how happy they looked as if nothing in this world bothered them. I was longing for that feeling. Nurses and caretakers dressed in teal scrubs were tending to their every need. Whether it was checking their blood pressures, or talking with them, the Elders seemed to be supported.

I glanced at Duke with a smile, impressed about how lovely it seemed, but he prevented himself from returning it, by clearing his throat.

So uptight.

    I scowled at him and looked towards a short blond woman who walked towards us. Her wide smile felt so contagious that I had to return it, suddenly forgetting about the human annoyance who stood beside me.

"Oh, I totally forgot you guys were stopping by today!" She exclaimed. Her hair was cut so short that it brushed only the nape of her neck and despite her stout figure and wrinkled eyes, the style made her seem younger than she actually was.

I looked at Duke again, anticipating his response, and my mouth fell slightly when I saw the angelic smile, he was feeding her.

Hypocrite.

"That's okay Nancy. I'm just happy we caught you before you left," he replied nicely, and I scoffed in disbelief. Why couldn't he smile at me like that?

Nancy looked towards me, and her blue eyes sparkled with interest. "And who is this beautiful girl?"

My cheeks warmed and I opened my mouth to respond.

"This is Norah. She's dumb. Can't speak," Duke says quickly, giving me a side-eye.

The nerve of this boy!

Nancy's eyes turned pitiful, and I held back a groan. "Oh dear, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Look, George over there happens to know sign language very well..."

Recognizing where she was going with this, I immediately began to shake my head, declining the impending offer.

Please, don't.

   "Go on Norah," Duke urged, bumping my shoulder encouragingly and I snapped my eyes to his in shock. His orbs glisten with mischief and I could tell, he's totally enjoying this. "I bet George would love the company."

Screw this trial.

    I looked towards Nancy in panic and opened my mouth to exclaim how much of a hypocrite Duke was, but he pushed himself before me and distracted her before I could get a word out. A slight gasp left my lips and I scowled at his broad back. This guy smelt way too good. "I just remembered that there's an important meeting I have to attend at school, we should quickly sign these in," he suggested.