18. Never

"What's with the long face Saunders?" he asked brightly after entering the car

I'm worried you might be hurt after finding out I'm engaged to your cousin.

I swallowed thickly and forced a smile. "It's 8 am on Saturday and I'm dressed in my uniform."

He chuckled. "Oh, trust me, I'm just as annoyed."

   I watched him with a heavy heart. He obviously didn't know about the engagement, and I felt the guilt clawing at me overwhelmingly. I owed him the respect of telling him the truth...right?

"Don't worry, it won't be very long plus I'll make it fun for you," he encouraged, starting the car.

"Thayer-"

"Hold on," he said while his ringtone echoed in the vehicle. He touched a few buttons on the screen and soon the caller's voice was blaring through the stereo while he drove off.

"What's up?"

"Hey. Will you have time to come over tomorrow?"

It was Duke, and my heartbeats increased immediately. His voice sounded muffled as if he was still tussling in his bed.

Thayer scoffed. "You know I hate coming to your place man."

"I know," he groaned in agreement, "But my dad just told me he wanted to invite you and Uncle Daniel."

"I guess they still aren't on talking terms."

"Yeah well... maybe that'll change if you persuade him to come."

Thayer sighed and I bit my lips, trying to not make a sound.

"Are you going to Westside?" Duke suddenly asked.

Thayer glanced at me briefly before looking ahead again. "Yeah, I just picked up Norah."

There was a pause, some shuffling, and then his voice echoed through the speakers again, clearer than before. "Norah? I thought Sarah was-"

"She couldn't make it, so I asked the next best girl I know," Thayer grinned at me. "Just because you hate her doesn't mean I do Duke."

"I- I don't hate her."

My heart fluttered.

"Yeah, right."

"Look, there's something I need to tell you."

Oh no. Duke, not now. Let me do it.

I gripped the car door while dread settled in my stomach and folded my lips tightly, forcing myself to not say anything too quickly.

"But I'll explain it tomorrow, just...keep her safe."

The phone call ended, and I immediately exhaled in relief, releasing the door. Thayer's face was wrinkled with confusion when he looked at me. "Did he just tell me to keep you safe?"