9. Norah's Trial Run | Pt. 1

"Let me see if I'm following correctly," Sarah whispered, leaning slightly towards me

"First, you basically told him to screw off after he blatantly called you out on your anxiety problem, then you returned the next week not only with an apology on your tongue but with the sudden inspiration to volunteer and work with him?"

She was looking at me like I was crazy, and I cringed immediately feeling like I was.

I chewed on my lips with concern. "When you put it that way..."

She scoffed. "No way, you are so interested in Duke Kingsley."

My jaw slackened. "That's absolutely ludicrous!"

   "Is there a problem, ladies?" Mrs. Walsh asked, pausing in her lecture. My classmates glanced at me in annoyance, and I sank lower in my chair while Sarah answered her with a shook of her head. "Please, remain focused."

I waited until she turned her back and began teaching before edging closer to Sarah's desk.

"I do not have an interest in that arrogant teenager," I hissed, my cheeks warming. How could she possibly think of something so preposterous? I just needed to do whatever I can to get on his good side. I mean, me and Duke? Me...and Duke....

She rolled her eyes. "Then how do you explain this behaviour?"

"One out of desperation of course! I need to get in Duke's good book to survive Noe-" I caught myself, remembering that she didn't know about Noel as yet. "To-to survive the rest of the school year and unfortunately for me, we always seem to clash when we're alone."

"Could just be sexual frustration," she shrugged, observing her chipped nail polish.

I lightly shoved her shoulder. "Sarah this is serious. Look, maybe today could be a trial. I will try to prevent another clash between Duke and me."

She sighed and met my eyes. "Wow, you really are desperate."

"One B and I'm out of the Ace class Sarah. Do you want me gone? Because Duke will-"

"Must I ask you, two ladies, to continue your conversation elsewhere?" Mrs. Walsh called again, and I fiddled in embarrassment.

"I-I'm so sorry."

"Won't happen again," Sarah quickly added.

Mrs. Walsh gave us a firm eye and continued with the lesson but this time she barely turned her back on us.

    The lecture dreaded on, with an emphasis on database management. Personally, I found it boring. I knew everything about database management in Technology, thanks to my father of course. He always warned me that in order to be a qualified CEO one day, I needed knowledge of the tech world.

It was hard at first, but soon I developed an interest in the industry. That adds to my immense burden of not letting him down. I had a whole legacy to inherit.