8. Negligent

During all the drama that was going on at school, I only got quality father-daughter time during the weekends

    During all the drama that was going on at school, I only got quality father-daughter time during the weekends. Usually, our calls revolved around things happening with the business in London or upgrades that need to be done at the house, but of late my father has been really concerned about my school life and I had the slightest fear that Walker may be the one to blame.

"I heard you're having a hard time adjusting at school," My father said that weekend and I hesitated with my eyes glued to my overfilled closet.

"Y-you did?" I replied, regaining my composure.

   I heard him sigh in doubt over the phone and I immediately sat on the carpet beneath my feet. The last thing I want is to have him worrying about me. "I'm just trying to make things easier for you Arah," he continued.

"I know dad, I know," I exhaled guiltily, "It was hard at first but now I'm adjusting."

"I've always been worried ever since your mom left us-"

"Let's not focus on her, okay?" I cut him off, queasy at the reminder of her existence, "Just know that I'm okay, you don't have to worry, just focus on making those investors happy."

   Our company Starlight Technologies is a major player in the technology market, but we've been losing investors rapidly. My father suspects it's because many of them were loyal to my mother and the major investor she fell in love with. After the BBC wrote an article on the new business venture she formed with him, our investors began losing faith in my father to keep the business afloat.

It was stressful to even think about.

"Well, we're not out of woods yet but I did manage to buy some time to make a new proposal. I'll come to visit in about three weeks for business, but you can also introduce me to all your new friends. How does that sound?"

I smiled, nervously. "Perfect."

    With Noel in my life and my father coming back, the chances of him finding out the truth were so high. The thought made me feel stressed out. If my father knew what Noel did, he would never live it down.

I had to make sure everything would remain under control once he is here.

    So, after the call with my father, I couldn't help but feel a new wave of determination. Goldwater Academy was the final stop. There was no more running away and travelling constantly because of business. This is where I had to repay my dad for all the sacrifices, he made for me.

   Releasing a breath, I sat up and resumed the cleaning of my room. When Noel comes at me again, I also want to be ready to properly express myself. I don't want to be a shaking mess of anxiety before him again... not like I was before.

And despite Duke's rough tactic this week, I knew I had to drop my pride and get on his good side. After all, he did make the offer to help me.

    I couldn't understand how Duke managed to be so... strong. Every inch of the boy screams "An immaculate conception." He was too bloody perfect and arrogant. It aggravates me but I think I'm also beginning to grow curious about the fellow. Especially after overhearing that conversation between him a Thayer. I needed to find a way to actually understand who he was.