25. Nicole

The next morning, I woke up wondering if everything that happened last night was just a fragment of my imagination

The fight with Noel.

He got arrested.

David blamed Duke.

Duke ignoring me.

     The overwhelming thoughts made my head hurt. Which didn't do well at distracting me from every other part of my body that was hurting. I had many areas of muscle ache that I never felt because of all the adrenaline yesterday.

    It wasn't until I changed into a tank top and black booty shorts that I fully recognized all the dark-coloured bruises on the side of my legs. Thankfully, only the very corner of my forehead was cut, and a slender bandage was placed over it.

    My wrist felt heavy from the gauze wrapping, and I sighed while observing it. It felt like it was two years ago all over again, where I was staring at myself, feeling pathetic and defeated.

    "But you got him this time Norah," I whispered, staring at myself. I mustered as much courage as I could, but I was still seeing those flashbacks. I don't think I'll ever forget the crazy look in his eyes when he pinned me on the ground. The thought of ever seeing him again was terrifying.

And I knew, though I won this time, Noel still broke me mentally.

They were going to take him away and try to get him treated. So at least that part of my plan didn't fail. I got him.

    Still, I knew my fight for peace was far from over. Now that the whole school knows what happened, I'll still have to counter all the extra attention. I couldn't help but wonder how Duke would handle it too.

    I haven't spoken to him since he gave his statement at the police station last night, and the look on his face told me he didn't want me around him. I exhaled tiredly and pulled my hair out of its hair tie and allowed it to brush my shoulders while I exited my room.

    Just when I was near the bottom of the steps, I saw my dad leading Eugene into the lounge room and Rosalind standing by the door with Walker, who was asking her if she wanted any refreshments. She was glancing around nervously while wearing a bright red sweater that matched her hair.

Relief found her face when she spotted me.

"Norah, hey."

I smiled. "It's okay Walker," I said gently, and he nodded walking away.

Rosalind joined me on the steps, and we sat side by side. "You look terrible," she teased and I chuckled.

"I feel terrible," I groaned, then glanced at my father, who was nodding at something Eugene was telling him. It seemed serious.

"Are you really, okay?"

"Not really...we put Noel away, but I also feel like I just started a new kind of fight," I replied.