20. Nourishing

He lifted his head and blinked up at me slowly, as if I just snapped him out of his own world

Was he here the whole morning?

After clearing his throat, he straightened his posture. "Hey."

I slowly walked to the chair across from him and sat down. "I thought you weren't at school."

"I would've told you if I weren't coming."

"Oh."

   Silence settled between us, and I began to fidget in my chair, wanting to shake off the awkwardness but I felt baffled about what to say. He almost looked tired, which is something I've never noticed before. Which meant is definitely not the time to mention anything regarding Noel. "W-what are you studying?"

He lifted the cover of the textbook and I saw the words 'Simplified Chinese' printed on the cover. "I'll be taking the HSK exam at the end of the semester."

I scoffed. "Wow, you're already thinking about the end of the semester when I'm worried about Midterms," I said, opening my Algebra textbook and turning to the equation I couldn't quite figure out last night.

"Unlike you, I have tons of courses to catch up on, some external to Goldwater."

Hmmm, that's why he seemed tired.

"So, this is what you do in your free time?"

"Only partly," he replied, and I lifted my head to meet his eyes and he continued. "I intend on using the other parts for us, from now on."

My cheeks warmed and I gripped my pencil nervously. "W-what do you-"

"I'm asking you on a date."

   My heartbeat started beating so fast and I squeezed my toes in my shoes while trying to process what I just heard.

   My shocked expression must have stirred something in him because he suddenly moved to the chair that was closer to me. His elbows were now touching mine and when he bent his head towards me, we were merely inches apart.

His proximity was stirring up memories of our garden walk.

"You had said it yourself, we barely know each other so we should change that."

I nodded slowly. "O-okay."

   He gave me a small smile before leaning back and I breathed a sigh of relief for the distance. It was way too hard to stay focused with him close to me. "Your father wants to see you by the way," I said, changing the subject.

"It must be about the new guidance counsellor."

"Dean."

He nodded. "I think it would be good if you spoke with him too."

"Huh?"

His eyes softened and his tone seemed more caring when he continued.

"You can just use our sessions on Thursdays."