17. Nightmare or a Fantasy?

I wasn't sure if it's the intense state of euphoria or anxiety I was in that made me feel like David and my father were staring at Duke and I with suspicious gazes

It must be in my mind because it currently feels like complete mush.

I.Kissed.Duke.Kingsley.

   I wanted to run into my bed and scream like a fangirl, especially because he didn't seem like he minded it. By the time we got back inside, it was dinner time, and he kept throwing me sneaky glances, with a small smirk on his lips. It almost felt like a tease.

   My cheeks were blazing warm, and I couldn't stop thinking about what that kiss suddenly meant for the both of us.

"So Norah," David finally said as we began the main course, "Do you have any colleges in mind?"

"My father insists on Princeton," I admitted, smirking at my dad. This is good, a normal conversation will help to stop me from replaying the past ten minutes in my head.

   My father straightened his shoulders confidently. "As a fellow Alumni, I must represent," he said with a smile, "But Norah can be head-strong, so I allow her to be free with her choices nonetheless."

Duke glanced at me then. "Stubbornness is one of your daughter's strong traits Mr. Saunders."

They all chuckled and I glared playfully at him. "You call it stubbornness and I call it self-defense."

He smiled and I squeezed the fork in my hands. Stop being so handsome, dammit!

   "Don't provoke her son," my father warned and Duke's eyes quickly met mine, his cheeks and ears suddenly tinting pink. I cleared my throat nervously and stared at the Alfredo pasta before me... wow the herbs in this was simply amazing-

"It's good that you two get along so well. It will make the process between our corporations run smoothly. We should have our lawyers meet in the morning, and start the paperwork Jeffrey," David said.

   My father agreed and they continued talking about legal affairs, while I observed David closely. He was certainly a serious man, who didn't smile much. I've never interacted with him much as a principal but in this setting, I can definitely see the maturity in his eyes.

    Duke definitely took after him too. They spoke the same, in confidence, with authority and they held the same serious resting face. Hell, they even sat the same way. They were the Kingsley's after all, hard to read, intellectual, and immaculate.

    Duke seems to like keeping to himself though. He didn't speak much, but nodded along when his father would make specific points during the discussion, a sign that he was listening.

"Norah?" My father nudged my shoulder, his brown eyes furrowing concerningly. "Mr. Kingsley is asking if you have any questions."

   If there was one thing my father taught me when it comes to business was always to have a hook, something to query and test. Never simply take what is said without the slightest investigation, so I said the first thing that came to my mind from my research.