21. No More Mr. Nonchalant

Focus Norah

Focus Norah.

   I bit the rubber of my pencil and squealed as quietly as I could. My heart felt like it was on overdrive and would explode at any moment. I was way too excited.... Way too happy.

'Until the world knows you're mine.'

Another squealed left my lips and I dropped my head onto my desk, officially unable to complete my homework.

   My ear tingled at the memory of his lips whispering those words and I suddenly wished he would've kept that phrase to himself. The whole day, I could barely focus on anything else.

"Calm down Norah," I whispered to myself, lifting my head, and looking through my bedroom window, noticing the impending sunset.

    I knew I was officially opening myself to accept that Duke and I were official, and the feeling filled me with fright and excitement all at the same time. Something I haven't felt in a while. I've never had a very serious relationship before. 

   Not even Noel and I felt as serious as what Duke, and I have begun to share. I was immature then and wasn't contemplating my future as much as I do now. But was this too sudden though? Are we rushing it because of our business obligations?

   I glimpsed at the clock resting on my tabletop, feeling slightly overwhelmed with tension. I needed to loosen up a bit. I was so concerned about everything that it's messing up my study times... and midterms are literally around the corner.

    Since it was only six o'clock, I decided to go for a jog around the neighbourhood and loosen up a bit. I pulled a long sleeve sweatshirt over my short black tights and tightened the laces on my sneakers before quietly slipping through our side door, hiding from my overprotective butler.

    The evening air felt a bit chilly while I jogged along the sidewalk, but my body was already warming up to it the more I pushed my legs forward. They felt heavy, a sign that it's been a while since I've done this, and I felt guilty for depriving myself of proper care.

    Music blared through my earphones with rap music while I pushed forward, enjoying the fresh air. As I rounded Laker's intersection, I paused to catch my breath knowing that I'll need all my energy to run uphill.

"Damn, I'm so unfit." I panted; my hands pressed onto my knees.

The music paused in my ears, and I slowly pulled my phone from the sweatshirt's front pockets to see Rosalind's name glowing across the screen.

"Hey," I answered breathlessly, leaning against the light post.

"You're the worst texter," she complained.

"Sorry, I was studying and just got caught up," I said, suddenly changing my mind from continuing my jog. My body was completely over it, so I simply turned and began walking back to my street.