23. Never Yours

I never thought I would become a reckless person

    I knew when I'm put to the test, I would stand-up for myself. I would fight for my right, but I never thought I'd be one to do so, recklessly. It seems ever since I stepped foot inside Goldwater Academy, everything I find myself involved in has been reckless.

Standing up for Sarah. Getting involved with Duke. Hurting Thayer. Provoking my abusive Ex.

All events that happened within and outside of my control.

    And now that the world is going to find out about my relationship Duke, I grew desperate. I wanted peace and I wanted to protect myself and my father. So, when I entered the school hall with a burning bundle of nerves in my stomach, I knew what I had to do.

"Hey Saunders," Zander greeted. He was walking towards his first class for the morning with Lee following behind him.

"Hey guys," I greeted, glancing around the hall briefly, before turning to them again. "Have you seen Duke?"

"I heard there's an executive committee meeting," Lee answered simply before disappearing behind his classroom door.

A committee meeting being held so early?

"It should be over soon though," Zander added.

"Thanks."

Instead of following them into English class, I continued down the hallway, and tried to reach him via text.

Everything went unanswered.

   I found my way to the Student Executive boardroom and the closed door was enough for me to recognize that they were still inside the meeting. I sighed, flustered, and annoyed. I needed to change a crucial part of the plan, but Rosalind was occupied and was ignoring my messages.

Gosh...

"Maybe they'll be finished soon."

   I took a deep breath, trying to calm down and sat on the bench by the door. Ten minutes passed, then twenty and eventually my patience wore out. The longer I waited, the fewer my chances. My dad said they might hold the press briefing at midday and it was already 9:30. I dropped my head in my palm and groaned internally.

I had to do this alone.

   Exhaling, I wiped the nervous sweat coating my forehead and pushed my legs towards the elevator and decided to head to the third floor. The fact that I was still on school grounds should be safe enough for me to get away in time.

Right?

As the elevator opened on the next floor, my anxiety increased, and I shakily sent Rosalind a text.

'I have to change the plan. I'm getting that evidence now.'

My phone vibrated a few seconds later.