1. Norah

"Do I really have to do this?" I grumbled, sliding lower into the car seat, my knees pushing against the dashboard painfully

     "Do I really have to do this?" I grumbled, sliding lower into the car seat, my knees pushing against the dashboard painfully. I glanced through the windows and the corner of my lips fell at the sight before me.

"Norah, we've been through this seven times already," Walker said. His tone was borderline-filled with annoyance, and I furrowed my brows and looked at him. "My answer remains the same." The engine powered off, and I watched in desperation, as he pocketed the keys.

He moved to open the car doors and I quickly reached for the sleeve of his suit, crushing the soft material between my fingers. His brows rose in shock.

"Norah! This behaviour-"

"Walker please, can't we just wait until the actual first day? I really don't feel like socializing today."

   My plea, I hoped, had mirrored the desperation in my gaze but if it did, he didn't acknowledge it. Instead, the British elder, released an exasperated sigh and frowned, showing the facial lines of stress that the Saunders family gave him after so many years of service.

   Students walked past our vehicle, chortling loudly, and we distractedly glanced at them. No doubt, Walker was thinking of all the optimistic reasons why attending this school would do me justice. It wasn't anything but a regular school to me however, with potentially my middle-school classmates attending.

Gosh, I hope they weren't though.

Walker sighed tiredly and pried my fingers off his sleeve. "As much as those big brown eyes soften my heart, they don't pay my bills. Your father wants you to be on your best behaviour at Goldwater Academy Norah-"

"And I will be... starting the first day."

His eyes narrowed.

"Attending the orientation ceremony is a requirement for all students, Norah. Now sit up or you will crack your neck with such posture," he demanded firmly, before finally pushing his door open.

"N-no Walker wait!" I flinched when his door slammed shut and flung my head against the seat with an immature whine. Arms folded, I frowned up at the large gold and black building before me.

    It looked about four-storey high, with a gold crown sitting on the roof that glistened under the L.A sun with prestige. It was the academy's logo. An emblem which marked the students who were seen as almost royalty, compared to other schools across the state. Large dark-tinted windows seemed to have replaced walls on the first floor of the building and I was able to glimpse shadowy figures of students walking around inside. On the roof, also stood a gold sign marked "Goldwater Academy." The school was as beautiful as it looked in the newsletters while living up to its reputation as the number one school in Los Angeles.

This is where my father decided he wanted to put me.

I'd much rather the confines of a smaller school, one that wouldn't attract my rich ex-classmates from midday school.