14. Nauseous

"It's really not healthy to be scared of Duke this much," Thayer said sympathetically, walking me to my locker

I scoffed, playing along. "I know right."

    What about falling for him? Is that healthy? My thoughts made me anxious, and I increased my pace to my locker. I need to take my mind off what happened before I jump to conclusions...again.

    "Maybe we should go out after school, that'll cheer you up and take your mind off things," Thayer suggested as if he just read my mind. I glanced at him slightly surprised, forcing a smile when I met his sparkling blue eyes.

    I was still feeling on high from my moment with Duke and the thought of admitting everything I am feeling for him felt scary. Telling him the truth about Noel and me was one thing, but now...the way I hugged him...the way he hugged me...

"Earth to Norah?" Thayer called out, snapping his fingers before my face.

"Huh?"

"You, okay?"

"Yeah sorry...You were asking me on a date, right?"

He smirked. "That depends, do you want it to be a date?"

      I turned to my locker, buying myself some time to respond, and shove my bag inside it. The thought of going on a date with Thayer didn't sound very exciting at the moment. Plus labelling it as such would complicate things, especially after what I encountered with Duke. I bit my lips, cringing slightly when I turned to Thayer again. Why would he ask me that though? Did Thayer actually want to date me?

Gosh, this was too much. I'm tired.

"Let's not call it a date," I said gently.

He hesitated, narrowing his eyes. "Playing hard to get I see,"

I chuckled in relief that he didn't find it offensive. "Sounds like I punctured your ego."

"Not even close," he proclaimed, lifting his chin confidently, "I like a challenge."

"Alright, alright. It's time for class," I replied, pushing him towards our homeroom as the first-period bell sounded. I really can't talk about this any longer.

"Remember Saturday," he said enthusiastically over his shoulder.

"At this point, I'll never be able to forget about it."

~~~

    The day felt awfully slow. Between my eventful morning, and classes, I kept falling asleep from exhaustion. It was so bad; a random girl woke me up during our Mathematics class when my drool began falling onto my desk.

Thankfully, after class, I was able to run away from the embarrassment and kept my eyes opened for the first half of Volleyball practice.

"Why are you moving so sluggish today?" Sarah asked while we stood in the back row of our formation.