24. Not Now Norah

"Can you lift your blouse a little higher for me?" Dr

"Can you lift your blouse a little higher for me?" Dr. Keith asked gently.

I slowly obeyed, glancing at the door every five seconds for any sign of my father or Walker or Duke or Rosalind or Thayer or-

"Ow," the slight push into my left ribs ignited a dull ache and Dr. Keith gave me an apologetic smile.

"Can you rate the pain from one to ten for me?" He asked, still pushing his finger across the area.

"Maybe like a five?" I answered then lifted my right hand, "Honestly my hand hurts the most."

   He nodded and gently tugged my blouse down before taking my hand and turning it gently in his palm, observing it. "Seems like you sprained your wrist pretty badly," he mumbled, then glanced at my face.

He lifted a pen flashlight from his top pocket, "Follow my fingers please."

After a few seconds of observing and making notes on his clipboard, he began reaching for bandages and different antiseptic creams from the medicine cabinet.

    "Thankfully there's no sign of any head trauma, no fractured bones either which is a miracle considering the fell you took. You did bruise your rib muscles though, so I wouldn't do anything strenuous the next few days," he explained.

I nodded shakily, my mind going over everything that happened like it was a distant dream. "So, I don't need to go to the hospital then?"

"No... but you do need to go by the police station. That kind of violence cannot be tolerated."

   Almost as if on cue, another nurse pushed the door open, and I caught sight of Duke pacing back and forth in the hallway just before my worried father rushed into the room and the door closed behind him.

I exhaled nervously.

"Norah are you okay?" he asked, rushing towards me and Dr Keith lifted his hands to stop him before he got too close.

"She's doing okay Mr. Saunders. She sprained her wrist and have a few bruises here and there, but she'll be completely fine, please calm down."

"Calm down?" My father sneered.

"Dad-"

"I want him arrested and I'm filing a lawsuit. He could've killed you, Norah!"

My head was beginning to hurt.

"Yes, Dad I know, but he didn't. I'm fine."

"Why would he do this?" He looked so distraught and confused and I glanced at my slightly swollen wrist.

"He...he's sick Dad... Noel has always been this way..."

My eyes watered when I met his own again and they widened with shock. "You're telling me this isn't the first time?"