28. New Beginnings

"David says Duke should be waiting for you at the entrance," My father said

I nodded.

"Remember Norah, no talking to anyone about business or Noel."

I nodded again.

"Unless it's that guidance counsellor of course," Walker added from the driver's seat.

I exhaled, finding the urge to speak. "Do I have to do sessions with him?"

"Yes Norah. Stop putting down the importance of your mental health," My father insisted.

   "I'm not," I mumbled as we turned into the school's parking lot. I just wasn't sure how I would react to recounting every detail of what happened all over again. Why did I have to dig it all up, in order to move forward with my life? Shouldn't the past remain where it is?

"Just like we predicted Sir."

   I exhaled nervously when I saw the cluster of press being restrained by security personnel at the school's entrance. My stomach was bubbling in nerves, and I squeezed my toes in my shoes, feeling the overwhelming urge to poop. All the cameras, all the shouting, it was so much.

My father squeezed my fingers. "Don't focus on them, okay?"

   Grateful for his presence I mustered up my courage and nodded. I had to face it all. I couldn't stay out of school any longer. The whole point of getting rid of Noel was so that I could embrace my freedom... to embrace a new beginning.

   When we exited, the shouting of questions grew louder and there wasn't a moment I didn't hear the clicking of the cameras echoing around us. Students lingered as well, watching, and recording with their phones and I felt myself internally panicking.

    My anxiety was short-lived when I saw my prince charming descending the steps to meet me, a small smile on his face. His hair was combed back neatly, and his uniform fitted his physique, without crush or blemish. The whole world of chaos seemed to dull around me at that moment and when he took my hand in his and began pulling me inside the building with him, I felt like I found refuge.

Once we stepped into the hallway, I exhaled in relief and wiped the sweat that had settled on my forehead.

"She made it out alive," Thayer said, approaching us with Rosalind, "You can still dump him you know. I promise I'll give you less stress."

Duke frowned. "Shut up."

"Both of you shut up. I'm sure Norah can survive without either of you," Rosalind sent a wink my way and I smiled at her.

"Will they be here every day?" I asked, glancing at the crowd outside again.

Thayer shook his head. "I give them three days tops. Just try to ignore them while you can."