26. Not just an act of Chivalry

"He looks so composed," Sarah said, her eyes glued to the television screen

    "He looks so composed," Sarah said, her eyes glued to the television screen. The echoes of the potato chips between her teeth made me cringe.

"Why do you look so excited? This isn't a TV show you know," I grumbled, pulling the bowl of chips from her, and looking at my father on the screen. He did look composed...

"Yeah, but the whole school has been waiting for an explanation as to why there was a senior student physically abusing a Junior. Even my mother began complaining about safety on school grounds," she explained.

I sighed, the guilt clawing at me. "And now you're skipping school because of me," I said with a frown.

She flung a hand around me, "You're my friend Norah. You actually thought I would let you stay home by yourself while your father tells the whole world you had an abusive ex?"

I smiled with gratitude. "Thanks Sarah,"

    We continued watching the press conference and I chewed each chip with nervousness. The reporters were clawing for so much information. Why did he do it? Where were the school guards? Will he be charged? Did I lose a limb? Why did Duke have to be the one to defend me? Does it prove that Duke can be violent? The look on Mr. Kingsley's face didn't show his annoyance though.

He remained calm, composed and passive.

An art he was teaching his son.

My heart sank at the thought of him.

"I still can't believe you'll be marrying his son one day," Sarah said, looking at our principal.

I sighed. "If he ever talks to me again."

"You know that's just messed up right? You almost died and he's ignoring you. I'd just dump him," I smiled at her as she stuffed her mouth with chips frustratingly.

"Yeah well, I think we both know how Duke is."

"Still... you're his girlfriend and he's completely ignoring you. It's not fair. If Nathan did that, I would kick him in the balls."

"Sounds like someone doesn't want to have children."

"Surgery will fix him," she turned towards me on the sofa, "I thought you said you and Duke were a real thing, why is he treating you this way?"

I shrugged and allowed my head to fall back on the sofa. "I wish I knew Sarah."

    "One final question please," Mr. Kingsley notified the press and Sarah and I turned our attention to the conference again. I was grateful for the distraction. The past few days made me depressed every time I thought about all the reasons why Duke might be ignoring me. I just wanted to forget about it as much as I can.

    "Martin Lewis from the New York Times," the reporter introduced, "Considering how passionately your son came to Ms. Saunders' aid, many students have been sharing speculations on social media that this may not just be a simple act of chivalry... what can you say to that?"