3. No way

"Why do you look horrified?" Walker asked, opening the passenger door for me.

"Nothing, I just need to leave this place," I replied, shoving my bag to the floor of the car when I jumped in. "Quickly."

    He gently closed the car door, and I angrily ripped the seat belt over my body. I still felt breathless from what I just experienced. Was I dreaming? Of all the persons, I was expecting to bump into nasty Natasha, the girl who tormented me throughout middle school. Afterall, everyone in the Demalton Middle School Facebook group said they spotted her on campus a few times.

But Noel Carson?

"Noel Carson?" Walker asked, his brows pulling together in concern. I sighed, realizing I spoke aloud, and glanced through the window, watching the buildings disappear, like my happiness. "Such creatures still exist?" He asked and I almost smiled at his insult.

"Unfortunately," I replied.

"Why are you thinking about him? Is he a student at Goldwater?"

I groan in response, squeezing my eyes shut.

"Can we please move back to England? America is too much for me."

He sighed. "Norah, you are a strong girl. Don't allow Noel Carson to keep you closed off from the world. Plus, for the two years you stayed in England you complained every day about losing your melanin. Now some lousy fellow is going to have you return?"

"It's not as easy as you make it seem, Walker."

He gave me a sympathetic smile. "I'm aware. But it doesn't mean you aren't strong enough to walk past that mongrel as if he doesn't matter," he paused, contemplating. "Just don't hate him."

I snorted. "Says the guy who just called him a Mongrel." Walker chuckled across from me and I looked back to the city buildings. I really hope he was right; I do hope I was strong enough to face Noel again. Today's confrontation ignited my doubts.

    When I moved away two years ago, it wasn't only because my father needed to settle things with the business. For me, it was to get away from the life I had in the States. It was to get away from Noel. I made sure I blocked him on every single social media platform. How did he know I would be at Goldwater Academy? Was this really all just a coincidence?

    That weekend, I was the most anxious than I've ever been. My uniforms were delivered on Saturday, and the moment I tried them on, my stomach tightened in nerves. This school year is not going to be easy for me and recalling everything that happened at the orientation ceremony, I knew it wouldn't just be Noel Carson that I had to face.

The look on Duke's face...

    When Sarah called asking if I'd like to hang with her by the beach, I couldn't have been more relieved. It was the perfect opportunity for me to ease my mind and not spend the day worried about my problems.