16. Nectarous

One thing I loved about Thayer was his laid-back nature

    Despite not giving him the answer he initially desired, he never made a big deal of it when we saw each other throughout school. Whether it was through bickering during lunch or while meeting our committee obligations, our friendship blossomed naturally.

    Unlike Duke who barely exchanged a word since our auditorium conversation. I guess our eyes did the talking instead. It didn't matter how crowded a room was, if he was there, our eyes found each other. Even though he didn't really speak to me, he kept to his promise. I can't tell when the last time was since I spotted Noel around and I couldn't be more grateful.

   Thinking about Duke and seeing him, made my feelings surfaces like an explosion and it took everything in me to ignore them. So, you can imagine my surprise when I saw him waiting for me by my locker on Friday morning.

    The sight of him inclined against it and his eyes on his cell phone made me pause in the hallway just staring at him. His brows were furrowed while he read what was on the screen, and like usual, his blonde fringe fell over his forehead whenever he had his head down. His uniform suited him so well, as if it was tailored specifically to fit his frame.

A few girls giggled as they walked past him and at that moment, I took a look around the hall.

I wasn't the only one staring.

"Have you seen the way they look at him?"

    Sarah's words made me frown. Their gazes lingered shamelessly while they all giggled amongst themselves. He didn't seem like the type to randomly entertain females, but I couldn't help but wonder if he had any love interest.

   He straightened from his inclined position, and I glanced at him again while he flicked his hair from his forehead and looked in my direction. I quickly continued to approach him, not wanting to get caught staring.

He lifted a brow. "Hey."

    "Hey," I said softly, opening my locker when he moved away from it. A few of the girls lingering in the hallways began looking at us and mumbled amongst themselves and I tried to keep my eyes away from them.

"So, I heard about the dinner tonight," he said.

Oh right.

I turned to him, meeting his eyes. "Yeah, my father was telling me about it."

"I can't promise my father will agree to everything, but I did put a word in."

I nodded. "That's all we needed. I think my father will handle it well."

He nodded, and silence settled between us awkwardly. I bit my bottom lip and slowly turned to my locker again, not sure what else he wanted to say to me.

"I think you should file a restraining order against Noel," he said suddenly, and I snapped my head towards him.

"Were you talking to Walker?"