I Five I

eternal peace is probably overrated ☂ 

I've watched the Umbrella Academy together for as long as I can remember. Luther's always trying to take charge, constantly fighting Diego for the top spot. Alison usually backs Luther up, Vanya tries her best to not have an opinion and Klaus is the comedic relief. Number Five...I'm not sure. I missed a lot of his 'activity', due to the fact that he ran away early on.

'I don't believe that,' Luther says stubbornly. 'The last day I saw him, he seemed worried. Almost unhinged. Told me to be careful who to trust.'

'Yeah, because he was a paranoid old man, Number One,' Diego says mockingly. 'Besides the autopsy results confirmed a heart failure.'

'Well yes, but we don't know that for sure,' Luther reasons.

'Wouldn't they know?' Vanya points out.

'Probably.'

'Probably?'

'Dad's monocle is gone,' Luther says. 'Can you think of a time you ever saw him without it?'

Everyone is silent. 'No, which means someone took it.'

'Who found him?' Alison asks.

'Pogo.' I reply. 'Said he couldn't find the monocle.'

'There's no mystery here,' Diego says. 'Just a sad old man who kicked the bucket alone in his house. Like he deserved.'

Luther still doesn't look convinced.

'You don't really believe that he was murdered, do you?' Alison asks. 'I mean, none of us really liked Dad, but we wouldn't kill him.'

'I don't know about the rest of you,' Luther says. 'Especially her.' He points at me.

'Don't you know it's rude to point?' I ask, bored. 'Dad wasn't murdered.'

'Maybe you saw something,' Luther throws his hands up. 'That's all I'm saying.'

'He didn't come to visit me the night before he died,' I sigh. 'But that's not weird.'

'And the plot thickens!' Klaus says dramatically.

'Listen, all I'm saying is, it's suspicious,' Luther says. 'I know you hate to do it-' He looks at Klaus. 'But I need you to talk to Dad.'

'What-in the afterlife?' Klaus pulls a face. 'I can't just be like- 'hey Dad, could you stop playing tennis with Hitler for a minute and tell me if you were murdered?'

'That's your power though.'

'I'm not in the right...mindframe,' Klaus says.

'You're high.' I conclude.

'Exactly! See she gets me!'

'Whatever,' Luther frowns. 'Someone took his monocle. Someone with a grudge.'

'Where are you going with this?' Vanya murmurs.

'Isn't it obvious?' I glare. 'He thinks one of us killed Dad.'

'Us? I don't remember you being a part of this at all,' Silence greets my ears as those last words leave Luther's mouth.

I blink.

For my entire life, I've always been an outsider.

Why did I think this would be any different?

'That's a really shitty thing to say,' Vanya says, speaking loudly for the first time. 'Do you know how hard it must've been to be in complete solitude for your entire life? No. Because you were Number 1. The only one who got the special treatment from Dad.'

Luther appears to be at a loss.

'None of us killed Dad, asshole,' she finishes, slightly quieter.

Klaus starts clapping.

'I'm done with this,' Diego groans, standing up and leaving. 'Sorry not sorry.'

Luther grits his teeth. 'Fine. Anyone else?'

'Yep.' I stand up, followed by Klaus and Vanya. Only Alison remains loyal to the giant man.

'Luther...' Her soft voice is the last thing I hear before I disappear around the corner.

Soon after, Alison's footsteps sound behind me. Her room door shuts, leaving Luther alone.

Dad's urn sits mockingly on the shelf like he's still watching us.

Then the music turns on.

Children, behave

That's what they say when we're together

And watch how you play

They don't understand

And so we're

Running just as fast as we can

Holding on to one another's hand

Trying to get away into the night

And then you put your arms around me

And we tumble to the ground and then you say

I think we're alone now

There doesn't seem to be anyone around

I think we're alone now

The beating of our hearts is the only sound