I 11 I

☂ and if Ben was here, he'd agree with me ☂ 

Turns out, that person is Vanya.

'Let me get this straight,' She hands Five another cup of coffee, since the last one was rudely interrupted by a bunch of assassins. 'You were stuck in the future...there's an apocalypse coming, and somehow that eye has something to do with it?'

'Pretty much,' Five sits down. 'Got anything stronger?'

Vanya shakes her head, walking to her cupboard and grabbing a bottle of wine. 

'Are you sure you should be drinking this stuff?' Vanya asks, skeptically. 

'I'm not a kid anymore,' Five says. 'I've been drinking much longer than you.' 

'Technically, you're still growing,' I point out. 

Five glares at me. 'Just give me the damn drink.' 

Vanya and I exchange glances. She pours a small amount in the bottom of a glass and passes it to Five. He gulps it down in the matter of seconds, helping himself to another glass. 

'At that point, we'd do anything to survive. Whatever the world threw at us, we had to be stronger.' Five's expression turns dark. 'Not everything works out like you think it will.'

'We?' Vanya looks confused. 'I thought you said everyone was dead?'

Like many other statements, Five ignores this.

'I found all of you dead. Luther-' He pulls out the eye again. '-was holding this eye. Whoever it belonged to probably caused the apocalypse.'

'Huh,' I put my feet up on the coffee table. 'Any idea whose it is?'

'Not a clue,' Five turns the eye over. 'But I think I know how to find out.'

He makes towards the door but Vanya makes a noise.

'Five, I don't-'

'You don't believe me, do you?'

'Of course I do it's just-'

Five scoffs. 'I should've known. You're too young, too naive to understand...'

'It's not that,' Vanya says. 'I haven't seen you in a really long time and I would prefer that you didn't just disappear again.'

Five's expression softens.

'Yeah, idiot. Take a seat,' I point to the couch.

The hint of a smile passes over his face before it falls back into a usual grumpy expression.

'It's late,' Vanya starts. 'I've got lessons tomorrow, and I'm sure that you both need to sleep.' She throws me a blanket. 'There's only one couch, but-'

'We'll figure it out,' Five forces a smile. 'Night Vanya.'

'See you tomorrow,' I wave.

She waves, before hesitantly walking back to her room.

Five pulls the eyeball out of his pocket again.

'Huh.'

'What?'

'I've got to go,' Five says.

'What?'

'I have to go,' he repeats. 'I need to find the owner of this eye.'

'Right now?' I whisper. 'What about Vanya?'

'What about her?' Five says. 'We don't have time for this. The apocalypse is coming.'

'Well-'

'Well, what?" He hisses. 'If I don't do something soon, they'll all end up dead and-'

'And what?'

'Nothing,' Five says. 'Absolutely nothing.'

And with that, he stands up, walking to the door. He opens it quietly and hesitates for a second, like he wants me to follow him.

I roll my eyes, hopping over the couch and out the door.

'I don't remember saying you could come.'

He confuses the shit out of me.

I sigh.

'I don't remember asking your permission.'