I 31 I

extraordinary ☂ 

THE DAY THAT WASN'T

'Hey,' Vanya's voice distracts the group from their argument. 

'Oh, hi Vanya,' I smile at her. 'We're just talking about our untimely deaths.' 

'Um, what?' She asks, glancing behind her at the unfamiliar man, whom I do not recognize. I hope he's not a serial killer who followed her in to the academy. 

'Y/n,' Luther chides. 

'What?' 

'This is a family matter,' Alison says, exchanging looks with Luther. 

'Family matter.' Vanya says dryly. 'So of course you couldn't be bothered to include me.' She shakes her head. 'Don't let me interrupt.' 

And with that, she walks away. 

'Wait.' Alison says quickly. 'I'll fill you in later when we're alone.'

'Please, please, don't bother.' Vanya says with a steely expression. 'And I won't either.'

'Vanya, that's not fair.' Alison shakes her head. 

'Fair?' She scoffs. 'There's nothing fair about being your sister. I have been left out of everything
for as long as I can remember. And I used to think it was Dad's fault, but he's dead. So it turns out you're the assholes.'

'Ouch.' Klaus says. 

'Vanya,' I say, grabbing her arm.

Vanya turns around, giving me a brief nod. 'I'll call you, okay?'

I hold her gaze for a couple of seconds. 'Alright.'  

'I'm gonna go find Vanya and explain.' Alison says, after waiting a couple of minutes. 

'I'll find her,' I say with a glare in my siblings direction. 

'What?' Luther asks. 

'That was really rude of you guys,' I say. 'Would it have killed you to actually listen to her for once?'

'There isn't time,' Luther urges. 'We need to figure out what causes the apocalypse.' 

I roll my eyes as he goes on. 'Now, there are loads of possibilities. Nuclear war, asteroids. But I'm thinking this is about the Moon. Right?' He looks around. 'Dad must have sent me up there for a reason. And I was giving him daily updates on the conditions, I sent field samples. The first thing we need to do is find his research.' 

Luther, honestly no one cares. 

'Hold on. Hold the phone.' Klaus cuts in. 'We all died fighting this thing
the first time around. Remember?'

'Klaus, shockingly, has a point.' Diego adds dully. 'What gives us a win this time?'

'Five.' Luther says. 'Last time we didn't have him. We weren't all together. This time, we'll have the full force of the Umbrella Academy. That's what we need.'

'And, um, where is he?' I tilt my head to the side.

'Well, he had a plan to change the time line. He'll be back soon.' Luther says. 

I scoff. 

'I'm going after Hazel and Cha-Cha.' Diego says. 

'What, right now?'

'Hell, yeah.' Diego slams his hand on the table. 'Three days, I'm losing light by the minute.

'Wait, Diego. Look, I know you wanna avenge your friend, but we got a bigger problem here.' Luther says. 

Trust him to think that others' problems aren't important. 

'She wasn't just some friend.' Diego mutters. 'If I'm gonna die, I need to know I killed those bastards first.'

'Okay, I'm out.' I say, walking away. 

'Y/n,' Luther says. 'Don't.' 

'Why the hell not?' I wheel around. 'Five's gone! Vanya's gone! And all you care about it, is the fricking moon.' 

Luther grits his teeth. 'Fine. Anyone else?' 

Klaus stands up. 'I'm leaving too. 

'So that's it? You're fine with the world ending in three days?' Luther asks. 

Klaus shrugs. 

I sigh, making my way to the front door. The chilly wind brushes my face as I close the door behind me.