I 29 I

☂ you and me ☂ 

Five's POV

I glare at her, cocking the gun. 

'You and me?' I huff, shaking my head. 'We had nothing.' 

'I beg to differ,' She smiles coldly at me. 'I thought we had something.' 

'You're changing the subject,' I narrow my eyes. 'How about I just kill you now?' 

She tips her head to the side. 'I'll just be replaced. I'm but a... small cog in a machine. This fantasy you've been nurturing about summoning up your family to stop the apocalypse...is just that.' She steps towards me. 'A fantasy. I must say, though, we're all quite impressed with your initiative, your...stick-to-itiveness, really quite...quite something. Which is why we want to offer you a new position back at the Commission, in management.'

I blow out a breath. 'Sorry, what's that now?'

'Come back to work for us again. You know it's where you belong.'

'Well, it didn't work out too well the last time.' I point out. 

'But you wouldn't be in the correction division any longer.' The Handler adjusts her hat. 'I'm talking about...the home office. You'd have the best health and pension, and an end to this ceaseless travel.' She smirks, looking me up and down. 'You're a distinguished professional in...schoolboy shorts. We have the technology to reverse the process. I mean, you...
you can't be happy like this.'

'I'm not looking for happy.' I say. 

'Even if you could be happy, with her?' She glances towards Y/n, stroking my cheek. 

I slap her hand away. 

'We're all looking for happy,' The Handler adds. 'We can make that happen. We can make you...yourself again.'

'And what about my family?' I inquire. 

'What about them?'

'I want them to survive.' I raise my eyebrow.s 

She sighs, staring back at Y/n with distaste. 'All of them?'

'Yes, all of them.' I say fervently. 

'Well...I'll see what I can do. Do we have a deal?' She holds her hand out for me to shake. 

'One thing.' I walk over to Hazel and Cha Cha, tossing their guns to the side, and move the bullet that's about to hit Luther away from him. 

'Are you done?' The Handler asks in a bored tone. 

I give her my best sardonic smile. 'Not quite.' 

Pulling out a piece of paper and pencil from my pocket, I scribble a quick note and tuck it into Y/n's open hand, closing it. 

'How sweet,' The Handler rolls her eyes. 

'Done,' I say, shaking her hand. 

'And off we go.'