42. I Have to Lie

"Hey, you got a minute?" I heard behind me and I heard the front door to my apartment open.

I had just taken Morgan to school and Bucky was out with his therapist. Thus, my apartment was empty for the moment. I turned to see Sam of all people walking in. He had left the day after we had moved in to go back to his sister and nephews. I hadn't expected him back so soon, but it was nice to see him either way.

"Of course, what are you doing back in town?" I asked.

"A lot of things, I got my sister settled with the boat loan we were looking for which is good, at least I think so. I got a call from an old military friend of mine about the Flag Smashers and with that John Walker kid taking the shield I decided I need to come back." He said closing the door behind him.

"Who the hell is John Walker and how did he get the shield?" I asked because that look me for a loop.

"Yeah. I mean I know you weren't around for it but the United Nations always wanted a group of super hero's to boss around I take it they saw a chance to make their own. He seems like he did pretty well in the military, but I don't feel right about it." He said shaking his head.

"You shouldn't feel right about it, he shouldn't have the shield." I said crossing my arms. "I don't mean anything against you, but no one but you should own that shield."

"I'm no Captain Val." He said shaking his head.

"Steve thought you were." I said looking at him with careful eyes. " if he wanted that shield to sit in a museum he would've left it there."

"I did what I thought was right, listen I want to act like that's our biggest problem but it's not." Sam said sitting down on a bar stool.

"Oh so there's worse problems. What do you want to drink?" I asked going straight for the liquor cabinet.

"It's 10 in the morning." He said and I just glared at him.

"Fine, I'll drink alone." I said shrugging it off taking out a bottle of my favorite vodka. I took it to the fridge and pulled out orange juice and grabbed a glass. I poured a decent portion of vodka and topped it off with the orange juice. "See breakfast."

"I see you haven't changed." He said with a soft laugh.

"I haven't, but I'm sure you're not here to talk about just the shield. What did your friend call you about?" I asked.

"I'm sure Bucky told you about the Flag Smashers?" He asked me.

"I mean, briefly." I said taking a big sip.

"I thought initially when I mentioned it to Bucky that they were just a group of internet radicals causing trouble. My buddy Torres followed one of their signals to a big meet up and he got some video of some stuff you need to see." He said pulling out his phone.

He pulled out a video of a nice street somewhere in what looked to be Europe. I leaned forward to watch it as he held it out. There was a large crowd of people and they all wore a black mask with a red hand print over the face. I could see fighting and chaos going on, but what stuck out to me was in the back ground.

As we watched the almost body cam footage of two people fighting just in front of him. I knew super soldier strength when I saw it and that's exactly what one of these Flag Smashers had. I saw the camera get smashed by a foot and I stood up straight.

"Yeah, it's not good." He said putting his phone back away. "I've got a lead to a building in Munich."

"You're here to ask for help?" I asked taking a hefty sip of my drink.