55. Fixer Upper

Bucky and I walked down a boat pier and it looked pretty lively. Sam was from a small town and it seemed like most people owned boats around here. I had no idea if Sam would even be out here yet as the sun was still rising, but we'd eventually find him.

I had no idea what his boat looked like, but we noticed a few people gathered around the back of the truck. As we neared closer I saw Sam talking to several other older men. They were standing next to a ship component that was pretty big.

"I don't know how we're going to get it out." The man said to Sam.

Bucky stepped forward and threw it onto his shoulder and walked it in the boat setting it down with ease. I stood there next to the boat with my hands in my pockets not needing to make quite the same grand entrance. Sam patted the back of the men's shoulders. He walked over to us looking very tense.

"I take it you didn't go home." He said looking to us.

"We had a favor to give." I said shrugging. "Zemo shouldn't be a problem anymore."

"Good, still doesn't tell me why you're here." Sam said with his hands on his hips.

"Sharon's keeping an eye on things, she'll let us know if Karli pops up anywhere." I said and Sam looked to Bucky who stood in the boat.

"So you two have come to bug me until then?" Sam asked looking at Bucky.

"Sounds about right." Bucky replied Sam looked between the two of us.

"Alright well you're going to make yourself useful. The control panel needs to be completely rewired and I need help replacing all of these panels." Sam said and I nodded with a small smile.

"Aye, Aye Captain." I said saluting him as I jumped into the boat.

It definitely was a piece of work. I get the impression that loan never ended up working out, but at least we could help him out. Not that I was super good with fixing things like this, but being around Tony growing up taught me a few things. I went inside to the main part of the boat and pulled my hair back. It was so hot already and the humidity was thick around us.

I went in the Captains area and started opening up all the panels. Whoever had wired this ship in the first place clearly wasn't an expert. The wires were messy, frayed, and hardly organized. I pulled up a stool as clearly I had my hands full. I got to work and I saw Bucky and Sam starting to get to work on the trim and side panels of the boat.

I smiled to myself as they argued and butt heads with each other. I expected nothing less of the two boys frankly. I got my supplies and tools and got started. Several of the wires had been blown and someone had tried to half fix them, but most just ended up burning. The coils on it were probably older than I was. It was very clear this boat had been through a lot.

It used to be Sam's parents boat, but it had gone unloved for quite sometime. I broke out in a sweat after a while, but thankfully the wind coming off the water gave me relief. Sarah eventually introduced herself and brought us lunch. She seemed a little cold towards Sam, but was more than welcoming and thankful towards Bucky and I. They seemed to bicker like siblings, but I know they had their differences over what to do with the boat.

It caught me off guard as a bottle was being passed to me. I sat up realizing it was getting later in the day, nearly sunset now. I saw the two boys had gone through a couple bottles up front. I looked to Bucky and I chuckled as I took the bottle.

"Any luck?" He asked me.

"Some, I'm gunna need another few hours, maybe days." I said sitting back. "Sam wasn't kidding when he said this boat is old."